Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pistons To Coat or Not To Coat

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pistons To Coat or Not To Coat

Going to drop in a set of forged pistons/ rods , for a F/I setup. What are the thoughts on coated pisons (stock Ls1 bore).

Pros and cons vs coated over uncoated. Please shed some light.

I am thinking coated might be the way to go sence motor has 40k just to help prolong any further wear. No sings of piston slap at the moment. Or should I just stick with uncoated and wait for the full rebuild when the time comes.

Would it be worth the extra $$$$$

Chris

Last edited by 618HAWK; 10-03-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say get the block honed and get the coatings. Or just call up some sponsors and see whose having a sale on their forged shortblock.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stang killer
I say get the block honed and get the coatings. Or just call up some sponsors and see whose having a sale on their forged shortblock.
I was planing on a good hone, as well. A must for the new rings. Hope clearances will not be a issue when time comes. And I will be able to get a way with stock bore.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Teching In

I think if your gonna do that i just assume build a new shortblock that way you could use coated main,rod,and cam bearings(clevite has their tri-armor coating well worth the money)and hell just for kicks coat the counter weights on the crankshaft while your at it, as for the pistons were your also thinking about thermal coating the tops to help keep the temps down since your running a blower. As far as cons for coating is spending the money to do it!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Default Coatings

There is nothing but Pros when it comes to coatings, cost isnt even a con when you break down the cost of not doing it if the engine fails. Coating tops of the pistons for example with our thermal moly teflon based ceramic coating will deflect the heat away from the piston top. This will prevent failures due to excessive heat, detonation, and it will decrease the heat dissipated by the pistons which will allow the motor to make all the power it is capable of. Coating the skirts is a no brainer as it decreases the friction on the cylinder walls, and can also be done to decrease the piston to wall specs, this is done alot when honing a stock block and then reusing the pistons, by coating the skirts of the stocker pistons or even aftermarket stock bore pistons you tighten up the piston to wall, so if your spec if loose that is a good way to fix it. Coating internal parts for oil shedding is a no brainer anytime you get the oil off the rods, crank, or anything that the oil can grap ahold of while being flung throughout the lower crankcase, you decrease windage, and resistance again allowing the motor to use make more power, the coatings dont make power, the engine already makes it the oil cavitation and resistance robs it, now it will be back. Coating things like oil pump gears and the housings will improve oiling, pressure, and durability of the parts, we have been coating gears for pumps for years. We coat gears for Aeromotive Pumps, Enderle Pumps, Waterman, etc. this helps with all of these pumps, and is awesome for alcohol engines as well. I have made this standard practice on my own stuff, skirts, tops, rods, crank throws, oil pump gears, electric fuel pump gears, valve springs, valve faces, exhaust ports, and combustion chambers. A cool display we have is some main bearings out of Doug, and Scott Kalittas top fuel cars, without coatings on the main bearings the engines would burn the crank bearings up due to the amount of force and pushing then oil out of thebearings, this would blacken the crank journals, making it so they could not reuse that crank the rest of that event until it was welded and recut. Now with our coatings the cranks dont get hurt, yes the bearings still end of fatigued and get thrown out but they can reuse their cranks. Saves them alot of money. We even do thermal bearrier coatings for things like turbo housings and such. Give us a call, we can price out a package deal, ask for our coating department, Omar has been doing this now for along time. 248-362-1188. Thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dart331Stroker
There is nothing but Pros when it comes to coatings, cost isnt even a con when you break down the cost of not doing it if the engine fails. Coating tops of the pistons for example with our thermal moly teflon based ceramic coating will deflect the heat away from the piston top. This will prevent failures due to excessive heat, detonation, and it will decrease the heat dissipated by the pistons which will allow the motor to make all the power it is capable of. Coating the skirts is a no brainer as it decreases the friction on the cylinder walls, and can also be done to decrease the piston to wall specs, this is done alot when honing a stock block and then reusing the pistons, by coating the skirts of the stocker pistons or even aftermarket stock bore pistons you tighten up the piston to wall, so if your spec if loose that is a good way to fix it. Coating internal parts for oil shedding is a no brainer anytime you get the oil off the rods, crank, or anything that the oil can grap ahold of while being flung throughout the lower crankcase, you decrease windage, and resistance again allowing the motor to use make more power, the coatings dont make power, the engine already makes it the oil cavitation and resistance robs it, now it will be back. Coating things like oil pump gears and the housings will improve oiling, pressure, and durability of the parts, we have been coating gears for pumps for years. We coat gears for Aeromotive Pumps, Enderle Pumps, Waterman, etc. this helps with all of these pumps, and is awesome for alcohol engines as well. I have made this standard practice on my own stuff, skirts, tops, rods, crank throws, oil pump gears, electric fuel pump gears, valve springs, valve faces, exhaust ports, and combustion chambers. A cool display we have is some main bearings out of Doug, and Scott Kalittas top fuel cars, without coatings on the main bearings the engines would burn the crank bearings up due to the amount of force and pushing then oil out of thebearings, this would blacken the crank journals, making it so they could not reuse that crank the rest of that event until it was welded and recut. Now with our coatings the cranks dont get hurt, yes the bearings still end of fatigued and get thrown out but they can reuse their cranks. Saves them alot of money. We even do thermal bearrier coatings for things like turbo housings and such. Give us a call, we can price out a package deal, ask for our coating department, Omar has been doing this now for along time. 248-362-1188. Thanks
Thanks Dart
Nice bit of info! Thanks I am sure other will think so as well. Has put a few other ideas in my head to boot.

Chris

Quick Reply: Pistons To Coat or Not To Coat