Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil all over the top of engine!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil all over the top of engine!! Help!

Well I finally got my car together and tuned and it runs great. It has about 300 miles on the new motor and tranny.

This is what I have:
1998 Camaro SS
Forged 6 liter
Stock crank
Eagle rods
Diamond forged pistons
Comp cams turbo cam
LS6 intake
65lbs injectors
GT70 STS Turbo
There's more but you get the idea.

I've been driving it pretty easy and haven't been beating on it.

The other day I drove the car 120 miles to see some family and took my brother in-law for a ride. I got on it pretty hard through 1st and 2nd gear.
I left it in drive and let the computer shift it. Just your normal 0 to 80 or so run.

My brother in law looked behind us after the run and said there was allot of smoke I didn't think anything of it because the tires were spinning all the way to 80mph and thought it was tire smoke.

On the way home later that day I merged into traffic on the highway and stepped on it a little to get up to speed. I looked behind me and there was a cloud of blue (oil) smoke. I pulled over and popped the hood. Oil was all over the right side header from oil blowing out of the oil filler cap. I checked the oil level and it was still full. The car was still running perfect, no noise, no loss in power and it was running cool. I drove the car home 120 miles without any problems. I babied it and stayed out of the boost. It ran cool and didn't blow any more oil out.

The tune on the car is very conservative and has almost no knock. It has forged pistons and I'm only running 10lbs of boost. I haven’t done a leak down test yet but plan on it next week some time to see if a piston broke.

Anybody have any ideas? I can't believe I broke a piston considering their forged and the tune is right on. With only 10 lbs of boost the head gaskets should be ok.

Any ideas as to what could cause this??

Thanks guys

Jon
Old 10-08-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how about the turbo oil lines... any of them leaking?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

No it's comming out of the filler cap.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Could it be the PCV??
Old 10-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

ttt............
Old 10-09-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, sounds like your crankcase pressure is too great. Get a filter and use it over the filler cap. Common thing with FI cars.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

SporkLover,
Yeah after looking at it it didn't blow out allot of oil but enough to smoke off the headers. Is there a K&N breather out there that will fit our cars in place of the oil filler cap? Has any body else had this issue?

Thanks to you all for your help!
Old 10-09-2005, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check Thunder racing. It's called the metco breather.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not to familiar with FI setups, but...

If you are getting enough pressure into the valve covers to force oil thru the filler neck, you might want to check where it's coming from. The two things that come to mind would be the pcv valve not working and forcing pressure into the valve covers, or blowby on the rings.

PCV valve is $5 and a lot easier to replace than performing a leakdown test. Might be worth a shot.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I'm not to familiar with FI setups, but...

If you are getting enough pressure into the valve covers to force oil thru the filler neck, you might want to check where it's coming from. The two things that come to mind would be the pcv valve not working and forcing pressure into the valve covers, or blowby on the rings.

PCV valve is $5 and a lot easier to replace than performing a leakdown test. Might be worth a shot.

How can you look at a pcv valve and tell if its working? If it wasn't working correctly or if its plugged could that cause enough crank case presser to push a little oil out the filler neck?

Thanks again to all!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

I just went out and looked at it again and I think the oil was comming out of the pcv valve not the oil filler neck so if thats the case what could cause that??
Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make this post in the FI section..... they are smart over there!

I say try a breather first before worrying about the other stuff.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its a common problem with the stock PCV and forced induction. Get the breather filter and that should solve your problem. If it makes you feel better you can search for people who blow theyre dipsticks out because thats also the norm with FI.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stang killer
Its a common problem with the stock PCV and forced induction. Get the breather filter and that should solve your problem. If it makes you feel better you can search for people who blow theyre dipsticks out because thats also the norm with FI.
STS has a thing that blocks off the pcv during boost, other than that it is a stock pcv system. Whats wierd is it didn't leak any oil or have any issues for the first month of driving after the turbo was installed and than out of nowhere it started blowing oil out of the pcv.

I was told if I vent the valve cover with a breather cap it will not allow the pcv to work properly. Is that a smart way to do this?

Thanks for you help,
Jon