Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's that noise....!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's that noise....!!!!!

I have been hearing this noise coming from my engine.....it started probably about 20,000 miles ago but it wasn't that bad and rarely happened... but now it is happening all the time. When i am in a high gear and have the RPMs below 2800 and give it gas, not even WOT but just get on it a little bit, a noise that resembles a coke tab rattling around inside of a can occurs. This crap is getting annoying....I haven't changed my spark plugs yet and the car has 76,000 miles on it....I know I know.....so i dont know if maybe the engine isn't firing on all 8 all the time due to the plugs fouling out or what???? I'm hoping this isn't anything major.....if anyone has had this noise or has an idea of what it can be please let me know!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like pinging. try running some sea foam, and changing the plugs. It's what I did, and it did the trick. Also go get your tune checked by someone with a scanner and tuning software
Old 10-10-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

dude, unless you want to spen some extra cash on a new motor, like me!!!..... you gotta be up to date with your maintanence. Im not picking on ya, its just you kinda sound like me a bit (i know, i know.....) and that turned into a deadly thing, which did get me a 408 but...........thats not the point. Just be careful and take care of her.

Now, the noise, is it a stable sound meaning, it is consistent with rpm's or random like if you are shaking the coke can a different speeds and intervals. Ok, those it sound like somethin is loose in there or tapping continously inside the motor?

That would help out figuring the problem. Change the plugs, wires, clean the filter, run the seafoam stuff, and see what happens. The worst thing is that you could take the covers off and see what you find.

How about bad gas? WHat kind of octane you putting in that motor?

..............and off course, there could be something in the bottom end that doesnt like the current situation, which isnt good.

good luck!!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what octane gas do you use? you really need to run 93. this could be your problem if it only occurs when there is a load on the engine. like in a higher gear and you give it gas at a lower rpm. its pinging or detonation it is also know as.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

93 octane is all i use....and it shouldn't be anything under the valve covers b/c i just did a cam install complete w/ springs pushrods and timing chain and it was doin the noise b4 and after.....i'll try the sea foam......god i hope its nothing in the bottom end!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

My roomate's 02 SS has the same noise happening in 6th gear when you give a hard accel. It's pinging, but at least it only happens there. You shouldnt be accelerating hard in 6th anyway, it's really intended just to cruise.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
My roomate's 02 SS has the same noise happening in 6th gear when you give a hard accel. It's pinging, but at least it only happens there. You shouldnt be accelerating hard in 6th anyway, it's really intended just to cruise.
Yah mine used to just do it in 6th but now it does it all the way down to 2nd gear....but it all depends on how high the rpms are when i step on it....i'm gonna try plugs and sea foam....i'll keep yall posted....thanx for the input
Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry for the noob ? but whats sea foam?.....and the past owner of my LS1 did not take care of her...and i went a spun a bearing last week...it was a bad pinging that was not constant...and im now looking at a rebuild...
Old 10-10-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

seafoam is a engine cleaning agent