Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to pick a cam and having a hard time...

Old 10-10-2005, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trying to pick a cam and having a hard time...

Hey guys, I am trying to pick a cam for my LS1. I have been reading like mad and I am just not sure what to do. I have been kicking around the idea of the ASA cam. I am looking for something reasonably inexpensive and low maintenance. I don't mind the idea of a lopey idle, and I don't really want to rev the engine very high. Like maybe 6,500 rpm or so.

So in short, I am looking for a decent bit more power, but nothing nuts. Low maintenence. Lopey idle is ok. Low cost, realistically as far as performance parts go.

Now for the information on the car.

1998 LS1 engine, T56 tranny
All stock except for tuned pcm, ported throttle body, and ported late model cast manifolds. True dual exhaust with magnaflow tru-x and straight through fart cannons at the rear.

This engine is in a Mazda RX-7. So the car only weighs about 2800 pounds and has a 4.10 rear ratio.

I have read quite a bit about cams and why people like/dislike them. The main cams I have been considering are the Tr224 and the ASA cam. I would like to have the Tr224 but it is pretty much outside of my price range. This whole car is kind of a budget deal, and I know that sometimes restricts things but thats the way it goes.

From what I have read a lot of people don't like the ASA cam. For my application I think it might be just about what I want. The car is mostly just a street driver. It will see the drag strip somewhat rarely. It is more likely to spend time on the auto-x course or a track day.

I know this has been kind of long winded, but I would love to hear some more opinions.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ASA, with its low .525 lift, is ideal... you can even use '02+ ls6 springs. I'd pick the GMPP ASA over the GMPP Hotcam or the ls6 cam.
Great usable power band. Altough people have run it without tuning, a good tune is a must.

Also, look into the VINCI low lift cam selections----->

For my next ls1 setup, I'm going to use an ASA cam due to its low maintenance aspect. I wonder how the ASA would perform with TEA 1.5's or AFR 205's. Hmm.....
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

i got my gmmp hotcam on this board for 125 shipped, and am getting springs for about 60 shipped...<200 dollars in parts makes for a good time indeed
Old 10-10-2005, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

while i am at it i will use this thread to ask a couple other questions.

lifters. do people usually put in new lifters when installing cams in ls1's? i know this might sound stupid but i always thought cams and lifters were supposed to remain together. but on ls1tech i never hear anyone speaking of changing lifters with cams really.

next question. pushrods. i assume with an asa cam a step up to hardened pushrods might be a good idea. is this the case? even though it can get by with ls6 springs?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

to narrow this down further, i don't need off idle power as first gear in this car is nearly worthless already.

also, this is not a daily driver car. it is more of a good day kind of car so no, i don't rely on it to be civilized daily driveable. even though most of its run time is on the street.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people don't do lifters with cams. You have to pull the heads to install them and nobody really wants to do that unless they are replacing, well, the heads.

Lifters probably should be replaced with the more aggressive cams and dual springs, but with LS6 springs and a hotcam or ASA cam you should be perfectly fine on stock lifters.

The amount of money you save on a cam itself is pretty small when looking at the entire car and picking the right cam has a large effect. I would avoid using the prices as a way of choosing. Heck, if you want something as common as a TR224 you could wait for somebody to step up to a larger cam and sell one used.

I love lope, and seeing that it's not a daily driver an ASA cam should work pretty well.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I would just call them up and get all of your questions answered at one time. Thanks what I did and got my answers fast and right. not saying that there has been any bad info on this thread but I have seen some on other threads. Best to talk to someone that does this for a living that can point you in the right direction. If you call comewhere call a couple of places just to make sure.

Search this Thread