Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me diagnose a problem? (oil pres./bearing?) $#!+

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry help me diagnose a problem? (oil pres./bearing?) $#!+

i bought this car about 2 months ago and it had previous problems with oil pressure bought i was pretty sure when i bought it that it was just the oil pump that was out. so right when i first bought it i took it to supertune and had mike install me a new LS6 oil pump. when he was installing it he found an actual bolt and metal shavings in the oil pan. he thought i was going to have to rebuild right then. but i insisted on putting it all back together and just start it up to see if it worked. we did this and to both of our surprise no knock/slap/anything. i was like sweet i just got a great deal on a built LS1.

Then today when i was coming back home from subway i hear this ticking type sound coming from my engine and i look back down and i see the oil pressure looks low (it was 20-25 PSI at around 2000 rpm's) when i revved it the pressure would go up(revved to about 3000-3500) but then it would drop back down. so i baby it home and let it sit for around 30 mins. then i go back out and start it up when it was just started the oil PSI was normal (~40) but after i revved it to about 2500 the oil PSI dropped back to 25-30. the ticking or whatever was still there but it seemed fainter.

ight now the gameplan is to change out the oil tomorrow and see if i can see anything

i have also been burning alot of oil if that makes any difference (2 quarts every 1000 miles) so if anything has anything on that i would appreciate it too

HELP!
Kyle
Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Got any pictures of the bolt you found?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

no but my mechanic couldnt figure out what it was when he pulled it i believe this problem is unrelated to that because that was 1 1/2 months ago
Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Launching!

cut the filter
maybe some dirt (either dirt or a piece of lint from shop rags) got caught in the pressure relieve valve in the oil pump.
I think the only bolt with probability to get loose and fall to the pan will be the ones that hlod the lifter holders.
I mean because all other exposed bolts are in the area of the oil pump, and if something was missing it had to be obvious.

low oil pressure+ticking noise= a bearing just about to give!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

until i scrounge up enough cash to fix the bearing im switching out the oil with mobil 1 10w40

i apoligize for my ignorance but if the bearing does fully go while im driving it does it have the potential to cause any more damage to anything else? or should i just play it safe and not drive it at all until i get the bearing replaced?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you spin a bearing you will most likely need a completly new engine At the very minimum, you will need to get a new crank, or get it machined and have oversized bearings.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Update... i changed my oil and i didnt see any metal shavings or anything like that. and i went on a little 2 mile ish drive and it didnt lose oil pressure (stayed above 40 and increased with acceleration). i changed the oil w/ mobil 1 5w40

the ticking is still there however and does get faster when the engines RPM's increase? is there anything else that can cause a ticking like this? Pullies? rockers? lifters? are any of these any easier to fix then a bearing?

thanks for the help ill be the first to admit im a n00b
Old 10-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

another update...

i went and talked to my mechanic (mike@supertune) and he said it sounds like a bad lifter and hes going to have to pull the heads and hes just going to change all of them

so i guess my question now is what kind of lifters should i use? also what else can i make sure to check for when the heads are off (remember i did find a bolt in the oil pan when changing out the pump last month.

thanks for the help
Old 10-13-2005, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds just like the problem that i had with my car. What you discribe is just on par to what my car was doing. And the bad news is that I spun a rod bearing.