Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam specific questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam specific questions

OK guys I tried giving FMS a call to get some questions answered before my purchse but I get no response. I spent like 3 hours last night searching through posts to get some of my questions answered. I have decided to go with a FMS cam. My engine is an almost stock LS1 on a 2002 Pontiac Trans am with a 6-speed manual. The car will be a weekend car but I need it to be DD as well. I am undecided right now between the F13 and F14 but am leaning towards the F14 with the 114 LSA.

Does this cam require engine timing change?

I am also going with the FM2-Dual Upgrade-1 kit.

Do I need stronger lifters with this cam?

Will the stock rocker arms handle the cam?

My main concern are the heads. I do want to upgrade them but I can't afford $2000 for the AFR's.

What other more budget minded choices do I have for the heads?

Will milling the stock heads yield me reasonable performance gains or should I start with say 5.3 L heads and work on those?

What is the most I can do without having to worry about piston to valve clearance?

If you guys can give me a good idea on what exactly needs to be done to the heads to yeild the best gains without worrying about piston to valve clearance. I'd rather not have to get flycut pistons.

I'd apreciate if you guys could help me out.

Last edited by omore001; 10-12-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help out?

Last edited by omore001; 10-12-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omore001
Does this cam require engine timing change?

No.

Do I need stronger lifters with this cam?
You don't need them. Most people don't do lifters with a cam. It is, however, a good idea to upgrade lifters when you go with dual springs if you can.

Will the stock rocker arms handle the cam?
Yes.

My main concern are the heads. I do want to upgrade them but I can't afford $2000 for the AFR's.
What you are concerned about? You don't have to do anything to the heads to put a cam in your LS1. If you want to do heads for more power there are plenty of budget minded choices for $1,000-$1,500.

What other more budget minded choices do I have for the heads?
Will milling the stock heads yield me reasonable performance gains or should I start with say 5.3 L heads and work on those?

What is the most I can do without having to worry about piston to valve clearance? If you guys can give me a good idea on what exactly needs to be done to the heads to yeild the best gains without worrying about piston to valve clearance. I'd rather not have to get flycut pistons.
What you can do without worrying about clearance depends on the cam and LSA you choose. Best to talk to Futral or the head manufacturer/dealer about specifics. Or try searching to see if you can find info on what heads people with a specific cam are running and double check before ordering the heads.

Why don't you want to flycut? Will you be doing the install yourself? Flycutting isn't a very big deal once the heads are off anyway.