Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp "R" coming apart?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Comp "R" coming apart?

How many of you guys have had these lifters come apart? I have heard nothing but horror stories about them here lately. My engine still makes a weird noise when first started and it makes it again if i let it set and idle. The car runs hard and shuts up with any kinda throttle. I'm just wondering what the true story on the lifters is. I need to know before i spray bottle to it in fear of gernading a lifter. Also if u've had one go bad what kinda damage will it to do valvetrain? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using the R's for almost four years w/absolutely no issues, and have not "personally" wittnessed an "R" failure.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy I bought my heads from (Jerflash) had one come apart and destroy his entire motor.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I had an R that the wheel actually flattened on it, not to mention the valve float I had with them as well. Great Lifters!!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I had an R that the wheel actually flattened on it, not to mention the valve float I had with them as well. Great Lifters!!
im stupid on this but i am assuming u r being sarcastic? im just trying to fig if i wanna take mine out or not. but with that the k memeber has to b dropped and heads have to come off. when u take the heads off i am correct in assuming u have to have them machined b4 u put them back on? if there is anyother options guys please let me know. im just afraid when i put the spray to it one will come apart. as they already make a weird noise when cold and when i let it idle. but have been told they r just noisy?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

blake is correct
i had to sell him my heads to pay for a new shortblock after a comp r with less then 200 miles on it desided to come apart on me

the lil "E" clip that holds the shaft that the roller tip rides on came off and the shaft worked its way out and then the cam pushed the lifter back up the shaft caught on the block and broke the lifter apart, ruined the camshaft, screwed the cam bearings, lodged a piece of the roller in the block and deformed the lifter bore

i had to take the engine out, take the oil pan off, take a screw driver and pound the lifter out it was stuck so bad

so i would not buy these lifters to anyone that is thinking about it oh and a had crazy bad valve float as well
Old 10-24-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Two of them house my cam with the correct preload. I would take them out and throw them in the trash. I think some are just fine and others are just not right (kind of like the old old 918 springs). Comp's quality control sometimes seems to be hit or miss on non-camshaft valve train components. Do yourself a favor, spend some money on a nice set of Morels or cheaper stock replacement lifters (if you don't have a real agressive lobe cam) and save yourself the headache of always wandering. $200 - $500 is nothing compared to the devestationg they can reak if they come apart.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ohhh I have a lifter horror story. Had a comp R lifter collapse, jam against my cam. Tore the lobe off the cam and ground the roller on the lifter flush to the body of the lifter. Sent metal all through my motor and toasted it

I have the lifter still as a sad reminder of what can happen
Old 10-24-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had comp-r's destroy my motor. Never again.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

i sent the lifters and my cam which was a trex (which comp manufatures for tunder)at the time back comp and they sent me a new cam and new lifters but would not give me money to replace the block because the comp rs are a race only item which i can kinda understand so atleast i got the cam and lifters back which i sold and put my stock lifters back into the new shortblock

i dont think i will buy tomany more things from comp but there stock replacment lifters seem to be doing pretty well for people who ahve them
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious if you guys used adjustable rockers?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

i did not i shimed mine but that has nothing to do with a clip being faulty on the roller shaft haha
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used adjustable T&D Shaft Rockers on mine.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Comp Rs require you to use adjustable rockers to be able to meet the .002-.010 preload specs. They have a preload shim built into them so if you just install them as a normal OEM lifter you are playing Russian Roullette ( however you spell that.lol)

Many people are running these lifters with no problems and I honestly wish them all the best of luck. If you have the wrong shimmed preload and then add the built in preload and then allow them to pump up at the higher rpm there is a significant chance the lifter will be over compressed and damage the lifter internals. Once that happens the retainer will come apart and pieces of these components will float around in the motor.

These are great lifters if installed properly and used in the right application, but the Comp 850s are a more suitable OEM replacement lifter for our not so hardcore LS1s.

I have been fortunate enough to experience both the Comp 918 spring failure and the Comp R lifter destruction first hand so don't ask me how I know.LOL.

Be sure to stay in tune with your engine builder and pick the right engine builder then life will be good. I was a slow learner I guess.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

mine have been in for 3 years with no issues. i have a small cam, TR rockers hardended push rods, double springs, TI retainers....

VT is queiter than a mouuse (no pun) and runs good so far...

I thought most of the issues with R lifters came with big cams and other stock valve train components (lifters, springs, push rods, etc.)

I've heard other stories about the bad heat rteatment of the Comp cams so I don;t dought a few of their lifters are exploding....

The comment about R being for racing makes no since. If the lifters were not designed for racing would Comp pay for your new short block - my guess is no.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:16 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW- I was running a 222/566 baby cam and managed to have a valve kiss a piston. The timing chain never had any issues so there's about only one way to get the two to touch if the valve springs are all in tact.

My valve train was the quietest that it had evr been as well. With a smallish cam and stock pistons with just a 1/4-1/2 turn preload you are probably fine. Many people have a good bit more than that and just tourque the rocker shaft down to spec and run with it. That is where the demon is hiding.

It's not so much a Comp cam issue as it is an improper installation and wrong application. If people install a Comp Cams 250/252 630/630 cam in a stock motor the pistons and valves are going to hit. It does not make it Comps fault. I can't believe I'm defending them after my 918 spring ordeal, but it is the truth. We all screw up sometimes. I guess I have learned to forgive and almost forget. I've bought 3 different Comp Cam camshafts since.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

well if your talking about the plundger commin apart im with you but my problem was a totally seperate thing then setup

mine was a quality control issue
Old 10-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Ive been running them for over a year or so with a G5X3, Comp 977s and YT rockers and have had no problems and I spin to 7k. I would NOT recommend the .002 preload though. I did it and had valve float problems. I tightened it down to .010 and have had zero problems.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

well i dont believe im having any valve float. but i only twist it to like 6-6300. and my rockers r just adjusted to 25ft.pds with a shim under the rocker. car runs fine and pulls hard with no float isssues. but am i correct in assuming the heads have to b machined b4 they go back on? thats my main concern right now. i may go run car on motor this weekend just to c what it will do.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, you wont need to machine the heads.

Quick Reply: Comp "R" coming apart?