Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump change w/o dropping the pan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Oil pump change w/o dropping the pan?

Is it possible to change a 99 oil pump without dropping the oil pan? Looks like the reason for dropping the pan is so that the pick up tube can be disconnected & released from the pump. Is there any possible way to pull the pick up tube out of the pump without the PITA pan dropping work? Looks like the pick up tube is engaged about 1/2" to 3/4". Thank-you
Old 11-01-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see what's the big deal about dropping the pan. You just undo about 10-15 bolts. It only needs to drop about a 1/2" you don't have to take it completly off. It's not possible (that I can see) to get to the pickup tube bolt w/o dropping the oil pan at least .5"
Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
I don't see what's the big deal about dropping the pan. You just undo about 10-15 bolts. It only needs to drop about a 1/2" you don't have to take it completly off. It's not possible (that I can see) to get to the pickup tube bolt w/o dropping the oil pan at least .5"
I took the pan bolts about halfway out and it was plenty far enough to get the pickup tube out. Not a big deal at all.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

There are two reasons that it could have been a big deal for me. The first is that the description I have shows complete removal of the pan to get @ a few more bolts that attatch the tube to the underside of the motor. Second reason is that the LS1 is in a converted car. There isn't as much room to get the pan off. Those were my problems.

From what you guys have described, it appears that the information I have is incorrect. The tube does not affix to the bottom of the engine beneath the pan or if it does, those bolts don't need to be removed? Does the pick up tube just rest down in the pan? If the pick up tube can be removed by dropping the pan 0.5", I'm home free. Please confirm & thank-you for responding.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pick-up tube bolts to the bottom of the pump via one bolt. Just loosen all of the pan bolts enough to drop the front of it down about 1/2. This will allow you to get your 10mm ratcheting wrench in there to remove the bolt. Be cautious when removing this bolt...stuff a rag in the pan or hold a magnet there because you dont want to drop this bolt into the pan.

Once the bolt is out, just push down on the pickup tube and you are home free...pull the bolts to the pump and voila. Also be careful when putting the pickup tube back on as the o-ring cannot be pinched or cut or you will have little to no oil pressure when everything is back together.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Excellent, glad to hear it. Thank-you all, this helps a lot.

Quick Reply: Oil pump change w/o dropping the pan?