Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLEVITE 77 rod bearing PROBLEM!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CLEVITE 77 rod bearing PROBLEM!!!!

Yesterday I was shoving pistons in the new block, first of the driver side bank (front side of journal) all with CLEVITE 77 PERFORMANCE rod bearings (CB-663 HD).
This bearings have a chamfered side, (aprox 30 deg) on ONE SIDE, the other is more like square angle (rounded edges)

the rods are OEM ZO6 and have machining for the bearing thangs, on ONE SIDE.

when stating to figure the "clocking" of the bearings, passenger side, from the piston-rod... the bearing can only face one side so when installing the rods the non chamfered side of the bearings is facing the fillet on the journal (rear side of journal)

the "book" is very specific in clocking the bearings due to exesive metal wear and residue if misplaced....

what have you guys done?????

Last edited by bulletLS1; 11-02-2005 at 10:35 AM. Reason: misspeelling
Old 11-02-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Well, since there is no fillet, or radius, on a stock crank, you won't have a problem either way. BTW, why didn't you just use factory bearings?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Launching!

I liked the feature of "no cosmetic flashing" whatever it meant, the box had a cool nascar logo.....
I know about the final flashing is for "dry start when new" thing, Im very carefull in using assembly grease on bearings, Ultramax castrol oil for general assembly (I Know is diesel engine but the "stikienes" is good for first startup) assembly lube (ARP provided for bolts), and I will prelube the beast for first startup.

What about all the BS that the stock crank is radioused.... (spelling?) and "the Book" has a dedicated step W/ picture about this...
does this rod bearing is left-right sided.....
thanks for looking!!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

I wanted some upgraded parts from OEM standards because specifically this part (in concert with the asparragus made OEM rod bolts (98)) blew my engine in the first place!

Quick Reply: CLEVITE 77 rod bearing PROBLEM!!!!