Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out on engine build-up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me out on engine build-up? 346, TRex, N2O?

I'm planning on ordering all of the parts on Monday, and this is what I have planned. I plan to get the block prepped, and new cam bearings installed as well. I want to retain the stock crank and rods, and install a good set of rod bolts. I will likely get the rods reconditioned, and bushed, and get the crank polished. I want to install a set of forged pistons, and I was looking at Diamonds. I wll also reuse my stock heads, and port them myself. I am wanting to run the TRex cam, and of course the dual valve springs and other valve train components (push rods, timing chain, etc).

I am hoping that the Edelbrock Victor Jr. packages start to be more common soon, but I will at least run a LS6 intake and ported TB. Pacesetters or Edelbrock headers will go on also, along with TD's.

Right now I have a TH400 RMVB in this car, and the converter comes up to about 4000 on the brake. With the addition of a set of 3.73s, I would guess that this should work out fairly well.

Some of the things that I am wondering is , can I run the stock lifters with the cam that I have selected? If I mill the heads, and run pistons with valve releifs, the P/V clearance 'should' work, right? I also plan to run a decent shot of nitrous through this motor, and plan to assemble the short block accordingly. How does everybody think this combination will work? I will likely run a mail order tune for the break in period, and then will get it tuned properly, probably by Speed, inc.

This isn't going to be my first engine build by far, but it will be the first time I get deep into a Gen III engine. If anybody sees anything I didn't list, please point it out. I hope to get this together and running soon, and any help would be very beneficial.

Last edited by Sandmann120; 11-02-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody has any input?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found it cheaper to buy a sponsor's shortblock then doing it myself. Check out Lingenfelter, $2095 for a complete shortblock with forged pistons , upgraded rod bolts, bearings, balance and blueprint.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about that. Right now I'm waiting on some pricing info from a few companies, and I will go from there. The machining won't cost me anything, so it's just going to be a matter of the price of the parts.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any help?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caution on the cam bearings, check the size of the old and new. I had new cam bearings installed in a new block (don't ask). I have had oil pressure problems with this motor all year. I rebuild it with tighter main and rod bearings, now I realize that the cam bearings may be oversize, that may be the cause of all of these oil pressure problems. Look for a good timing chain also.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had heard that the factory LS2/7 timing chain was supposed to be pretty good, and had planned to check on pricing from my local dealer as well. I also planned on getting the oil pump from them as well.