Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAD drawings/dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAD drawings/dimensions

I am in an AutoCAD class and for my final project I plan on drawing the rotating assembly of a LSx engine. I need help getting my hands on as much information as possible: drawings, dimensions, etc. What would be great is if I could get the components seperate: piston, pin, rod, crank, etc; so I can include as much detail as possible. So if anyone can point me in the right direction or has any information handy, it would be greatly appreciated. If it helps any I use AutoCAD 2005 LT in the lab and 2004 LT on my laptop. I don't necessarily need CAD drawings, just enough dimensions and visual aid so I can draw it using AutoCAD.

Thank you,
Mike
Old 11-07-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you should really impress your teacher and do a full Drawing (GD&T, Surface Finishes, Hardness, etc) of each compoent. Not to mention it would be a nice reference for the rest of us if all that data was collected. But.. in reality only GM knows most of the specs so i guess basic dimensions will have to do...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

You can get some of the basic dimensions on the web. But, your best bet is probably to find a thrashed, junker and ask if you can get the engine out...take it out, tear it down, and make your measurements along the way.

BTW, I started selling AutoCAD V1.4 in the early 80's, when it first came out. Started my own dealership and sold the company in '93.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have chosed a very large task for a project if you plan to actually dimension the parts anywhere near enought to machhine them. The crankshaft will be the challenge.

If you are also planning to include materials, heat treating , etc. I think you are in over your head. Is it too late to break it down into just the piston, pin and rod? Doing that well would be my idea of a project. You could probably get used parts donated from some of us here.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I started doing that once. Then I realized how damn complicated an engine block was. I never got past the block and I'm pretty good with UG and solid edge/works.

There are just a TON of features in that thing. Id be suprised if any single processor could handle it. I know a pIII couldn't handle a fully Cad'd up cross drilled, slotted and vented rotor.

here is some info on LT1 stuff
http://www3.worldisround.com/photos/0/403/496_t.jpg
Old 11-07-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wouldnt even attempt that... but you must be further along throughout classes that i ever have been...
wish i would have stuck with it.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default note to "builder" & "killerbrink182"

"builder"
i want your car!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. i bet that thing is fun as hell to drive. can you post some pictures in a different thread, say "multimedia exchange". i bet a lot of people would love to see it.

"killerbrink182" are you looking for basic info. piston diameter, high, top of piston to the center line of the rings, ring thicknesses, pin diameter, etc...?
or are you wanting to get more technical than that?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by circusboy
"builder"
i want your car!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. i bet that thing is fun as hell to drive. can you post some pictures in a different thread, say "multimedia exchange". i bet a lot of people would love to see it.
HaHa! I want it too. And, no hi-jacking!!!

Check the link in my sig. Click on the little, red car and go to the bottom. There, you will find "Ultima Construction Links". There's a section called "Builder Pages". You will find tons of on-line video, pictures, and construction photos.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Sweet Cheeks

That would not be a good idea for an LT 2D software. 3D is a must for things like that. Solidworks, Catia, and Inventor would make it a walk in the park.

Good luck to ya.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Teching In

thanks everyone. yeah, basic info is what i am looking for. this is going to be a drawing(s) of basic dimensions, but as many as i can get, and simple hatchings to indicate machined, cast, rough, etc. surfaces. yes 3D would be great, but it's not an option (considering we lost 5 weeks to Rita).

thanks again,
Mike

*EDIT* treyz28- link doesnt work

Last edited by KillerBrink182; 11-07-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Dont even try it in CAD, seriously thats waaaay to much for that program. Give Inventor a try if you want to get into 3d, its a very nice trasition! (I Model for a living)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Teching In

I'm not even going to touch 3D. It's an AutoCAD class so it must be done using the two versions i have. It's just going to be basic orthographic views, and i've seen drawings of similar things so it's possible.

Mike
Old 11-07-2005, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

i majored in cadd(autocad) and one of my projects i did a 1/10th scale nitro touring car engine and that took me right at 2.5 months of working on it for 8 hours twice a week. So something of that size and detail would be amazingly difficult seeing how u wouldnt have much dimensions to work off of.

--Matt
Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Default Pictures

well since it seems getting my hands on the dimensions is going to be difficult, perhaps some of you with close-up, HQ pictures of each component (stock pieces prefferably) can post them (or send them directly to me if you prefer) so i can get an idea of the lines, shapes, etc. involved. Anything involving a detailed picture, drawing, or even dimensions by themselves would be a step in the right direction. thank you.

Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Default check this out

Replica Motors / Transmissions
Perfect for mocking up your new project without waiting for your motor to be built or your transmission to be delivered. Motors are a replica that have the factory threaded holes. Not to mention they are very light and easy to work with.

Got this info from Speedinc------>
Old 11-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help, but i'm looking for the rotating assembly.

Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Ohhh ok, well um maybe the rotating assembly is in the mock up block Good luck on your project.

If you are looking for measurements, ask the sponsors what the measurements of the parts are, I'm sure they'll know.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to the "new ls1 owners" forum. click on jrp's "super facts and commonly asked questions" sticky. scroll down a little ways on the first post and there is a section called "engine mechanical specifications". there is some good info in there that might help you.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Teching In

thank you. that should get me a pretty good start.

Mike
Old 11-11-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerBrink182
thank you. that should get me a pretty good start.

Mike
Lasershop does CAD every freakin' day........ day in day out CAD CAD CAD. CAD sucks!! What you want can totally be done in AutoCAD but finding dimensions is all but non existent. Your going to have to find some good photo's and fake the dims and settle for proportional. Does you're version have solid modeler? When I do stuff I always draw out geometry in AutoCAD and then "3D" it in surfCAM. But you can do a good enough job in AutoCAD. Not sure if a simple hatch will go around 3d geometry though. You are going to have to work your *** of on this. Projects like this take some time and I am freakin' FASTER than most. I think a piston/rod assembly would be pretty nice and take allot less time even if you just do it 2D.

Quick Reply: CAD drawings/dimensions