Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeeking/chirping from underside of engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeking/chirping from underside of engine

I've noticed that when my car gets warmed up there is a high-pitched chirping/squeeking/whirring sound and after popping the hood i've determined it's coming from the underside of the engine and doesn't sound like belts. It's been 50°-70° weather lately with some humidity, last night it rained. I have a 2000 ws.6, any :help: would be appreciated.

_jaison
Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of years ago my 5.3l truck engine developed a similar sounding chirp/squeak noise. I traced it down to a hydraulic lifter gone bad. It took out the cam too. I ended up replacing the engine with a 6.0l.
You might try first looking under the valve covers to see if it's a rocker arm going bad. If the noise is deeper in the engine, then the heads will probably have to come off to get to the lifters.
I hope it's not as bad as what I just mentioned, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Good luck,

Richard
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

no ****** way...i just had a whole valve-train/cam job done last month...
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lifters require puling the heads. Still a pain in the *** even if you were inside the engine for the cam.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
I've noticed that when my car gets warmed up there is a high-pitched chirping/squeeking/whirring sound and after popping the hood i've determined it's coming from the underside of the engine and doesn't sound like belts. It's been 50°-70° weather lately with some humidity, last night it rained. I have a 2000 ws.6, any :help: would be appreciated.

_jaison
I have a 2000 Trans Am had the same type of noise, sounds like it's coming out of the bottom of the engine?
Check the belt tensioner and idler pully, my tensioner was going bad. It had rust coming out of the bearing race. The tensioner see's a lot of water due to it's location.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Launching!

I had really annoying chirping/squeaking from the motor. I was positive it was belts or a tensioner. Searched for a long time before I found it.... ended up being my A/C compressor going bad.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Samba242
I had really annoying chirping/squeaking from the motor. I was positive it was belts or a tensioner. Searched for a long time before I found it.... ended up being my A/C compressor going bad.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Banned

thanks all. I remember when my heads leaked and it made that crazy chirping sound-scared the **** out of me to hear damn-near the same thing, just wasn't as intese so i knew it had to be something else. So i found out it is the 2 lowest pully's bearings are going bad...they look easy to replace-think a non gear head could do it? anybody have part numbers?

Quick Reply: squeeking/chirping from underside of engine