Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bent a pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice

Well since i bent a pushrod, on a car that had all highway 143K on it... i was gonna pull off the stock intake, cam, and HEADS while im at it... just leave a block in there.... any advice?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much money are you looking to spend? If it were me I would atleast freshen up the bottem end and go with a nice H/C setup.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

plan to run Cam only- looking mainly for advice on taking things out...if the heads need the valves reseated then ill send that out and get it otherwise
doesnt matter need advice yto take it out
Old 11-10-2005, 12:16 PM

Not hard to tear the engine down.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:32 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lots of people bend pushrods, replace them, then go about their business as usual. usually no need for a rebuild as you describe here. i would not pull the heads off for a bent pushrod.

i bent one, replaced it and it ran perfect. i then later removed my heads to replace the lifters (thought they were junked). i replaced the valvesprings/seats/retainers while i had the heads off and my valves were perfect.

if i had to pull my heads off again, i would pull the motor/trans out of the bottom of the car, those bitches are pretty tight in there. if you have access to a 2 post lift, this is the only way to go, but it has been done with a few jackstands and an engine lift on the core support (you can lift the car off the motor/trans/k-member.

btw - here's how real men bend pushrods lol https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/262171-pushrod-bent-pic.html
Old 11-14-2005, 11:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah, do NOT put in hardened pushrods on stock valvesprings. i learned this with the thread i posted above. next time a pushrod bending should happen, the valve will bend instead. i'm running PRC dual springs, Ti retainers, and hardened pushrods right now with a stock cam. i put them on (when i had the heads off) knowing i was going to do a cam swap when i had the heads off anyway, and i ordered the f14 cam today

i would pull the valvecovers, replace the springs/retainers/seats/pushrods, then slide in a new cam of your choice along with a new oilpump and underdrive pulley. pushrods can be changed out in 30 minutes for more stockers so you can drive it while you wait on your cam and stuff.

the stock pushrods at the stealership are about 14$ each (which is actually MORE expensive than hardened ones ).