Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump Questions

Hello. New guy here--my first post! I'll get to the point.

I am building a Factory Five GTM (for sale when complete--built to order if I find a buyer early enough). I have a '99 donor C5 with front damage. I've checked the block as well as I can with the engine in the car and it looks fine. The harmonic balancer was hit and bent. The crank is straight (as far as I can tell by watching the bolt in the end of the crank with engine running). Here's where I ran into a problem. I started the car and drove it into my shop and the oil pressure was fine. Put the front up on jackstands with the front tires hanging about 4" off the ground. Started the engine and had no oil pressure after about 5 seconds of running---shut engine off. Put car back down and started engine and after about 3 seconds, the oil pressure popped up to normal. Checked oil level--if anything, it's about 1/4" past full on the stick. Put car back up on stands and started---still no pressure.

I'm not at all familiar with Chevy stuff as I was a Ford mechanic for a Ford dealership for 5 years---sorry guys! Is the oil pickup at the front of the engine or what? Anyone had any similar issues or any clues as to the problem here? I've already pulled the balancer off, and I see no evidence of damage to the front cover or crank. Can you guys give me a clue here?

From what I've seen so far, looks like you guys have a great forum here. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Mat
Launching!

You guessed it. The oil pickup is at the front of the engine as is the oil pump. If the car was jacked high enough on the front I'd be willing to bet that was why you lost oil pressure!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Teching In

It's hard to believe that you can lose oil to the pick-up at this sort of angle---Looks to me that if you drove the car up on ramps to change oil or work on it---or heck, drove up a hill, you'd suck air!?!? Surely this has happened to others?

So, do you all think that if I stick on a new HB, I'll be good to go? Other than this "problem", the engine sounds great and seems to run fine. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Mat
Launching!

Originally Posted by vacextar
It's hard to believe that you can lose oil to the pick-up at this sort of angle---Looks to me that if you drove the car up on ramps to change oil or work on it---or heck, drove up a hill, you'd suck air!?!? Surely this has happened to others?

So, do you all think that if I stick on a new HB, I'll be good to go? Other than this "problem", the engine sounds great and seems to run fine. Thanks for your help.
Yeah definately a good point. How much oil is in there? Is it down any on the dipstick? Might have been a leak from the accident and not have enough oil in the pan to keep enough oil up at the front for the pickup?? Not sure...

I hear what you are saying though.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Teching In

As I said in the first post, the oil level looks to be about 1/4" above full mark with the car setting level. Any other ideas? Thanks for the input!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Teching In

How close is the pick-up to the front of the engine? Anyone else have any ideas here? Other than the outer hub being bent, doesn't look like the inner hub of the HB was hit at all. Is there any way this could've damaged the pump or the pick-up tube? Should I just be safe and install a new pump?