Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't figure this out? lifters or valve or???

Old 11-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't figure this out? lifters or valve or???

well guys i have had this niose now for a good month.sounds like valve train noise sort of like a bag caught in something like real bad gas or bad spark knock but it happen under full accelration and when i slowed down it started the noise.it seems to be most noticable above 2000rpms and gets faster as you accelrate.here is what i have checked so far...valvesprings all good pushrods good,and rockers good.did a compression check and all cylinders were with in 10 so they are fine.another weird thing was the plugs they were cover in oil like in the thread area .not sure what that is but it never has been this way before.only thing i can think of is lifters every thing else has been upgraded.they are patroit heads with the duel springs and hardend pushrods.the car seems to have lost some pep too.any ides before i order the lifters .possible valve??anything i should check??thanks for all the replies im just lost on this one..
Old 11-21-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're gonna have to pull the heads to check the lifters or valves, so if your plan was to order lifters anyways, just pull the heads and find out exactly what's wrong before ordering things. It could be either a valve or lifter, but I'd check first. You should def not have oil on the plugs, it sounds to me like valves may have been hitting the pistons slightly by the way you describe the noise and bent some valves so they aren't sealing correctly. Open it up, take a look.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

i also know the head gasket was blown on the drivers side .this is where the noise is coming from.he replaced it with a felpro gasket???are they as good as the gm?or thinner?thanks for the info..
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

one more thing if a valve was bent or slapping a piston,would the compression check still be good..
Old 11-21-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, it would show if it wasn't sealing.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Duhhh That's the last time I post advice past my bedtime.

Search this Thread