Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve spring help...

I'm getting a set of Absolute Speed 5.3 heads with 2.04/1.57 valves and Comp 977 springs. I need help finding replacement springs for these heads. I plan to run a Futral F13-F14ish cam so we're talking right around .600 lift and over 230 degrees of duration.
I'm not sure of the valve stem lengths on these valves (haven't received the heads yet). I know the comp 977's are wider than standard LS1 springs, so my questions are such:

What are some good, wider than LS1 springs I can use? Are SBC springs a possibility?

How do I calculate the spring loads and bind points so in my research I can find proper springs for my application?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you machine the spring pockets you can run other spring sizes. Lowering the pockets some is not a bad idea when you're going for very high lifts anyway.

The spring maker will give you the bind point. You will have to measure what your installed height is on your particular head with your valves in place.
You can find 977's on ebay usually.

With those kinds of lift and duration numbers I'd flycut the pistons while you're at it. If you do lose a spring...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will certainly be fly cutting the pistons. I also found some specs on the 977's and I don't think they'll handle the lift I'll be throwing at them so I'm really looking for alternatives.

Originally Posted by white2001s10
If you machine the spring pockets you can run other spring sizes. Lowering the pockets some is not a bad idea when you're going for very high lifts anyway.

The spring maker will give you the bind point. You will have to measure what your installed height is on your particular head with your valves in place.
You can find 977's on ebay usually.

With those kinds of lift and duration numbers I'd flycut the pistons while you're at it. If you do lose a spring...
Old 11-22-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...Category_Code=

These look good, but very expensive & probably overkill.
I like the very cheap 918's myself.
A friend of mine is running .630 lift with 918's. The spring pockets have been machined down some to give more install height. He is using the hollow LS6 valves so not so much pressure is needed on the seat.