Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New oil pump problems...

Old 11-22-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New oil pump problems...

I was assembling my engine a few days ago, and got everything in there good, except i forgot to get a new o-ring for the oil pump. So i got a new one today, and put it in. The only problem is that whenever i pulled the bolt out that holds on the pickup tube, it looked like some of the threads had come off onto the bolt or something. Whenever i tried to put to bolt back in, and torque it to whatever it is (13ft/lb. or so) It would go in to a certain spot, then it would come loose again. I think i stripped the threads inside the hole there or somethin. My question is, it gets somewhat snug, would it be alright to put some locktite on it, and trust that to hold it? Or do i need to retap the hole, and get a bigger bolt?

Also, should i pull the front cover off of the pump, and put some oil in there, so it runs alright whenever i first start the engine? TIA
Old 11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

TTT
Old 11-23-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my understanding of locktite is that it cures in the absence of oxygen. In other words, you need the threads to interlock for it to cure. If that's correct (and I believe it is), it will not help you. The safe bet is helicoil or tap larger.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
I was assembling my engine a few days ago, and got everything in there good, except i forgot to get a new o-ring for the oil pump. So i got a new one today, and put it in. The only problem is that whenever i pulled the bolt out that holds on the pickup tube, it looked like some of the threads had come off onto the bolt or something. Whenever i tried to put to bolt back in, and torque it to whatever it is (13ft/lb. or so) It would go in to a certain spot, then it would come loose again. I think i stripped the threads inside the hole there or somethin. My question is, it gets somewhat snug, would it be alright to put some locktite on it, and trust that to hold it? Or do i need to retap the hole, and get a bigger bolt?

Also, should i pull the front cover off of the pump, and put some oil in there, so it runs alright whenever i first start the engine? TIA

IF YOU LEAVE IT LIKE THAT AND LATER WHEN YOUR ALL DONE WITH THE ASSEMBLY AND TRY TO TURN ON THE CAR IF THE PUMP SUCKS AIR YOU'LL GET NO OIL PRESSURE AND MESS UP THE PUMP, BESIDES ITS A PAIN PUTTING A NEW PUMP ON WHEN THE MOTOR AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN, TRUST ME HAD TO GO THROUGHT THAT RECENTLY AND ITS NO FUN.. DO IT RIGHT TAP IT AND NO MORE WORRIES LATER ON
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah... I'll probably end up doin that. Hopefully we have the right taps.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Teching In

HELICOIL....Like GM SHOULD have done on ALL bolt holes...
Old 11-24-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could you explain this to me. I'm still pretty young and still learning a lot about cars, motors, etc. What is a helicoil, and how do i do that?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

How to use a Helicoil
Everyone has had it, that heart stopping moment when you think you have stripped out a thread and your wondering to yourself, "What the hell do I do now?" For me it was the thread on the sub-frame for one of the four bolts that hold the rear fender in place, I stripped that puppy good. Because of this I was looking down the barrel of well over a $100 for a second hand sub-frame or who knows how much for a new one! But thankfully that was when I remembered hearing about helicoil kits. Read on, if you will, as it might just save you a LOT of money someday and no end of anguish.

Experienced wrenches and even some home tinkerers will be familiar with helicoils, and if you are then you have probably had to use them in the application they were design for, which is creating a new thread for your bolts to grip onto. If you haven't heard of them then this article attempts to show you how easy they are to use and how they can save you a lot of money. To give you the short version, a helicoil kit will allow you to drill out a stripped bolt hole, tap a new thread into the larger hole, where you then wind in the helicoil, that in turn becomes the new "thread" for your bolts. Helicoils are also typically stronger than the metal you are putting them into, so chances of stripping out the thread again are just about zilch.

Basically a helicoil kit usually consists of a number of helicoils (duh), thread tapper and a couple of tools to put the kit in. Sometimes they will include the drill bit that you need, but you may have to buy it separately. If you do have to buy the drill bit separately make sure you buy EXACTLY the size that your kit requires, one measurement too big or too small and it is useless. Oh and be sure to buy a drill bit that is for drilling metal, don't try and save money on a wood drill bit, it just isn't worth it.

Now I'd had problems in the past when a misaligned bolt stripped some of the thread of my fender sub-frame (because I like to swap between solo and two-up a lot) although I was able to save it at the time just by re-tapping the hole. It was when I was putting on a new set of saddle bags that I stripped out the hole completely and the weight of the bags (Tour Classics) meant I had to fix the problem without delay. For the record, the size helicoil kit I used was M8-1.25 (matches the bolt type for that area) and the drill to match this kit is a 21/64 hi speed bit.If the drill bit isn't included in the kit and the size required isn't written anywhere then ASK which one you need, don't ASSUME!

So the first thing you have to do is to drill out the hole, just make sure you have the drill as straight as possible. The drill bit for my kit was 21/64 in size so it left me with a perfectly flush hole with no sign of the old thread. Thankfully I was able to leave my fender in place for the job as it meant less stuffing around.

Next you have to tap a new thread using the tap that comes with the kit. The tap is tapered at the front end to help you get the thread started and using a shifter you wind it through the hole. Make sure you wind it all the way through until you stop feeling "resistance" as this means the hole is now completely tapped with the new thread. Gently wind out the tap with the shifter and when you do you shouldn't feel any resistance, in fact you may even be able to twist it out with your fingers.

Now you get one of the helicoils and using the tool supplied you wind it into the new thread until it is flush with the frame (sorry no picture). You also shouldn't feel any resistance as you do this but if you do you may just need to clean the thread up a little. It is also at this point why the drill bit size is so important, as the outer thread of the helicoil will match the newly tapped hole, the inner thread of the helicoil will match your bolt size.

One the coil is in place you use the little punch that should come with the kit to knock the little tang off the end of the helicoil that assisted with winding it in. Don't try to twist this off (unless the instructions say to) as you may warp the helicoil and you don't want to do that.

And now your finished so all that is left is to put the bike back together! Because it was so simple I decided to drill out the other three holes in my sub-frame and put helicoils in all of them. As mentioned earlier the helicoils are usually a lot stronger than the metal they are put into so hopefully I am going to avoid the problem happening again down the road.

Hopefully this write-up will make you more confident in using a helicoil kit if you are ever unfortunate enough to need to utilise one.

March 2004

Old 11-24-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Great info on the heli coil. You definitely need to fix the threads in the pump, or it will create bigger problems when it comes loose. Check the outside diameter of the heli coil insert. Make sure that there is enough metal in the pump to tap into for the insert.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you know any retail stores (not online) that sell these kind of kits? Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread