Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIGHT Have Sucked Something Into Motor...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Question MIGHT Have Sucked Something Into Motor...

I was checking the air filter today and something caught my eye...I THOUGHT my Whisper Lid wasn't sealing tight at one point a year or so ago and I put 1/4" foam tape around the inside of my lid. I THINK I removed it when I noticed it was coming loose, but I'm not for sure. Today, I found some residue where the tape had been and had a slight panic attack...my MAF is descreened, so if the foam tape let loose, it got sucked into my motor.

I THINK I remember removing the tape a while back, but if I didn't and it got sucked in, what would happen? I'm hoping if it made it to the cylinders that it just burned up and went out the exhaust...or, would something like that cause damage? If so, how long would it take to cause damage?

The motor is running fine and sounds fine, and I even took it out today for a 10 mile romp, and it's not having any problems.

Please put my mind at ease guys! I really do think I removed it a while back, but I can't help but wonder... Thanks!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was metal then you might have a problem, but it probably got cooked and spit out like you thought.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here have some piece of mind: you took that tape out, i remember when you did, don't even worry about it.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it sucked it in, you would have known it by now. (If there was going to be damage) Possible problems I see is that it gets stuck in the valves and the valve doesn't close all the way. Depending on how big it was it could be stuck in the head.