Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem seal install questions, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve stem seal install questions, please help!

Ok, i got a complete cam/ valvetrain upgrade from lgmotorsports for a 2004 CTS-V (LS6), all comp cams brand. Pushrods, springs, retainers, seats, and valve stem seals.

I installed everything today and then read that i was supposed to "seat" the valve stem seals by tapping them with a deep socket.

All i did was push the valve stem seals on. Do i need to take all of the springs off again and seat the seals?

Also, is there a difference between the exhaust and intake valve stem seals from comp cams? I ask because they were all in the same bag and i didnt notice a color difference. ...but then again it was getting dark out.

Some insight would be appreciated!

-Derek
Old 11-23-2005, 06:06 AM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/413170-installing-patriot-golds-need-sanity-check.html
Old 11-23-2005, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately, I think you need to go back in and tap them down. They can and will come off if not properly seated. When you tap them down, you will notice a definite change in sound when they seat. I also took a measurement, but that is probably overkill.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Unfortunately, I think you need to go back in and tap them down. They can and will come off if not properly seated. When you tap them down, you will notice a definite change in sound when they seat. I also took a measurement, but that is probably overkill.
What did you measure? Wouldn't hurt to compare notes
Old 11-23-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I measured from the spring seat to the top of the metal on the valve seal. There is a specification in the Vette service manual for the newer seat type (integrated seat and seal) so I wanted to make sure I was in the ball park. Also, on the back cylinders where installation is more difficult, I had some data on the other cylinders to compare to so I would know those were properly seated since there was not direct angle to tap on the socket I was using to seat the seals on the guides.

Quick Reply: Valve stem seal install questions, please help!