Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous explosion = Problems. Any clue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Nitrous explosion = Problems. Any clue?

Ok, heres the deal. Im working on a 2001 trans am, the guy pulled out of a parking lot, got to around 20mph then sprayed it. Well needless to say it caused an explosion. It blew out the back of the intake taking out the oil pressure sending unit, cam sensor & the wires that go to the plug on the cam sensor, off course it took out the map sensor, it also took bent the TB blade causing it not to open or close, blew the MAF off, & tore the whiser lid to pieces. I got a new intake, new sensors, rewired the plug that was shreded, new whisper lid, new bellow, new TB. Got all installed Friday started the car up & it made the god awfull ticking/tapping noise. After looking around I found a couple of bolts on the back of the intake wasnt tightened all the way. (he didnt have a TQ wrench at his house) That seemed to quite the ticking/tapping a little bit, but its defiantly still there. I checked all the plugs, all the push rods,valve springs, rocker arms. They all seem fine, no broken plugs or springs, no bent PR's. Now the other problem is that down low around 2000rpm & below it has a sputter/hesitation to it. The car dosent seem to be down on power, the oil pressure is perfect, the fuel pressure is also perfect, oil is going to be changed today. Is there anything else I could check that would cause the symtoms? Ive studied this car for 3days & cant seem to find anything. Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you replace the MAF on the car? If it still acts funny, you might want to do a compression test on it. I had one a while back that had "exploded" and after the explosion, it had sucked some stuff from the intake and such down into the combustion chamber and warped a valve slightly. It was acting funny and a compression test led me to that cylinder.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gomer
Did you replace the MAF on the car? If it still acts funny, you might want to do a compression test on it. I had one a while back that had "exploded" and after the explosion, it had sucked some stuff from the intake and such down into the combustion chamber and warped a valve slightly. It was acting funny and a compression test led me to that cylinder.
Not yet, I was trying to see if there was anything else I could check before I did that. Ive got an SLP 85mm MAf im going to try after I get off work today to see if that fixes the hesitation/sputtering.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with gomer and for future reference, never spray your car below 3000 rpm and TB not fully opened (WOT)
Old 11-28-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
never spray your car below 3000 rpm and TB not fully opened (WOT)
definitely make sure the guy understands this - get him a WOT switch and window switch ASAP so you don't have to go through this again
Old 11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would try the MAF first like was said above. the ticking though i am not sure. it could have sucked something in one of the intake runners and hurt a valve when it tried to close or something like that. i would also do a compression check. its a PITA but will tell you a lot.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the replies guys. Im sure he want do it again, his wallet is hurting pretty bad & from the sounds of it, its about to get worse. I will try the MAF tonite, & then go from there. Ill do a compression check this weekend.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm still sort of a nos newbie,but the first thing i did before i used was read WHAT NOT TO DO. one of the first things i learned was not to spray below 3,000 rpm's.