Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to change out crank shaft on ls1

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to change out crank shaft on ls1

can anyone tell me how to change out my crankshaft...anyone know this problem ...when ever i start my car is idle is fine but when i shifted and step on the accelarate and it start knocking anyone know?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take out the engine, put it on a stand. Take off the heads. Turn it over. Take off the pan. Unbolt the rods from the crank, take out the pistons, unbolt the mains, take out the crank.

Put in a good crank and matching main and rod bearings, put the pistons back in, torque everything to spec.

A few other details like taking off the timing chain, oil pump, intake, transmission, flywheel, etc...
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

since you asked the question...take the car to one of the sponsors to the right and have them do it...
Old 11-29-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by John_D.
Take out the engine, put it on a stand. Take off the heads. Turn it over. Take off the pan. Unbolt the rods from the crank, take out the pistons, unbolt the mains, take out the crank.

Put in a good crank and matching main and rod bearings, put the pistons back in, torque everything to spec.

A few other details like taking off the timing chain, oil pump, intake, transmission, flywheel, etc...
make sure to take off the rear cover before putting on the stand...

damn one piece rear seals :jest
Old 11-29-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Sometimes I think people make this **** up.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, everyone starts somewhere
Old 11-29-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

thanks guys ...but my question is when ever i start my car is idle is fine but when i shifted and step on the accelarate and it start knocking
Old 11-29-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, what you are describing is another issue altogether different than a crank more than likely. I don't mean to be rude, but you need to complete your thoughts when you post. It makes it awful difficult to read your post when it is missing words or appears to be anyways. The last post is kinda confusing to me. It seems to me you are saying the car idles fine with it out of gear but once you place it into gear and begin to accelerate it starts to make a knocking noise. Well, let me ask these questions. How is your oil pressure? Does it make any noises if you rev it out of gear in eithor neutral or park (if an auto)? Does the noise vary with engine speed or driveline speed? This information is critical to at least pointing you in a realistic direction. A knocking sound could be anything. If it's coming from the motor ask these questions. Are you using the proper fuel? If not use premium gas that's what the engine is designed for. Is your SES light on? If so see what codes it is throwing. If no codes hook a scanner to it and see if it is engine knock. If it is showing no knock on the knock sensors it's a good chance that the sensors might be bad or the PCM. Good oil pressure eliminates the crank possibility. Get more info and we can go from there.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

ok..the car is automatic, my oil pressure is normal, when ever idle rev on the engine u hear the knocking also vary with engine speed , and i am using premium gas , my SES light not on,
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Here is what I would try. Take off your serpentine belt. I bet it might be something IE an alternator or something like that causing the noise. Might also be a loose flexplate or maybe the convertor bolts are loose. I would hate to see you pull the motor all the way down for something silly. If the oil pressure is good I'm almost 99% sure the crank and bearings are good. It might also be something like a bent pushrod or a jacked up lifter or broken valve spring or something. You need to look into it alittle further. I hate to think of somebody pulling a motor to figure out the flexplate was loose or something like that.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

is there a way u can tell me wheres flexplate located it and how to check it