Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small coolant leak, will it get worse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Small coolant leak, will it get worse?

Took the transmission out of my 2002 camaro tonight, it hasn't run in two days and has been sitting inside.
I noticed very little liquid that smelled like coolant near the back of the passenger side head. It also has some corrosion on the block there like it's been getting wet often.

I've had the car since 22,500 miles and have never put coolant in it and it's not low.

It has 33,000 miles on it and has had the heads off before at 25,000 miles when the dealer did warranty lifters, they used the proper multi-layer steel head gaskets.
I was always concerned about the head gasket surface area where you can see it on the front, it had some dirt build up there, after they had the heads off the dirt was still there, the gaskets were new though so I know they took the heads off.
It also makes a hell of a lot of noise, like bad lifters. The dealer replaced them once. Two days later it makes the same noise and they say it's normal.
It's not piston slap. It does it all the time.

Should I worry or do anything about this coolant? I don't want it to get worse.
It has the LS6 block, not that it matters.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car when new seeped coolant in the same location but it wasnt the head gasket..it eventually stopped.

Personally i would fix it myself it was easy and cheap...dealer last resort..

see if you can pinpoint the location...lots of coolant test procedures like pressurizing or black light..
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Personally i would fix it myself it was easy and cheap...dealer last resort..see if you can pinpoint the location...lots of coolant test procedures like pressurizing or black light..
What he said, if it is a head gasket you dont want coolant leaking into the cylinders. I wouldn't let it go too long.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

My dad's cadillac had a leak like yours. he tried the coolant leak tabs that you can buy at the dealership. Try those first if you don't feel like swapping a head gasket. They worked well for his, and it was a decent leak.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

Alright, thanks guys.