Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCE Titan head gaskets--anyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SCE Titan head gaskets--anyone using?

Planning to buy some (stock bore), .043 thickness with F11, 5.3 TEA heads, ARP studs...anyone have experience? In particular, leakage issues? Thanks in advance...
Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have an o-ringed block or heads? If not, then I wouldn't bother with them.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

No, the block/heads are not o-ringed. I see these as an alternative to cometics, they are offered in the stock bore size and in varying thicknesses. Cometics have been known to leak, and wondering if anyone had better results from these. BTW, they cost less than cometics. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on using them in my stroker motor. They look to be a good gasket and have the rubber rings to seal all water ports, unlike the Cometics, which I have had horrible luck with.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id like to use the regular SCE copper gaskets. You guys dont see a problem using the 4.060 bore gaskets on a stock bore motor do you? sorry for threadjacking. I do agree that these are a cost effective alternative to cometics when you want to run smaller than .054. Plus they say theyre reusable up to 5 times.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Id like to use the regular SCE copper gaskets. You guys dont see a problem using the 4.060 bore gaskets on a stock bore motor do you? sorry for threadjacking. I do agree that these are a cost effective alternative to cometics when you want to run smaller than .054. Plus they say theyre reusable up to 5 times.
Regular copper gaskets are prone to leak in street applications. They are very hard to seal up, plus o-ringing the block is highly reccomended. If you plan to street drive, I'd reccomend the Titans because of th esealant around the passages.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Mr powell uses these head gaskets on his 8 sec. nitrous ls1 car, they take alot of silicone but they are holding great we have not had a problem.
Matt
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have an o-ringed block or heads? If not, then I wouldn't bother with them.
Can you elaborate a little bit on this? I don't have any experience with these gaskets, but I was planning on going with these when I get the ETP heads. I have read nothing but good things about them, moslty that they dont leak like a lot of people have reported with their cometics.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Regular copper gaskets are prone to leak in street applications. They are very hard to seal up, plus o-ringing the block is highly reccomended. If you plan to street drive, I'd reccomend the Titans because of th esealant around the passages.
That makes sense. There goes my budget again...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Can you elaborate a little bit on this? I don't have any experience with these gaskets, but I was planning on going with these when I get the ETP heads. I have read nothing but good things about them, moslty that they dont leak like a lot of people have reported with their cometics.
Copper gaskets are intended for very high horsepower applications, where an o-ring setup must be used. I've never had a problem with any Cometic gasket for that matter. To add, even though the Titan gasket does have some coating around the passsages, expect to use Hylomar or copper coat also.