Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

residue and moisture found under oil cap... HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default residue and moisture found under oil cap... HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok, I was changing my oil today after a 6000 mile interval, and everything was going without any problems until i took off the oil cap to put in the new oil what I found has me worried...

On, the cap, and in the spout I found moisture, which i figured was just condensation from the cold weather mixed with the hot oil etc... but I also found a brown residue covering the interior side of the cap and also a small amount of a white/yellow slimy build up, not much, and it was only up by the cap, I am wondering what could cause this? I wont make any assumptions, but After driving about 20 miles, I took the cap off again, and it was still dry, so i am wondering if oil even regularly get on the cap?

If anyone know what is most likely causing this let me know... hopefully this isn't so abnormal...

All in all, I just don't think its been like this before, Im sure i would have noticed it last time...

thanks in advance...
Old 12-04-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

please help!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it look like this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/415775-changed-oil-today-what.html
Old 12-04-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Nothing to worry about. It is most prevalent in engines that do shorter average runs so the engine has less time to really warm up and get rid of all of the moisture, but that's all it is, a bit of moisture that occurs naturally.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah it isn't a big deal. Might be a good idea to maybe replace the PCV which might be the cause of it but it isn't a huge deal.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bshell
yeah, thats what it was... whew... thank god... I was quite scared about that. The coolant levels have stayed very stable, so i dont think it is that... plus i smelled the goo, and it didnt smell like coolant... I am very pleased to hear it is normal, but i will try to keep it to trips of longer length...

thanks for the info, and for the sigh of relief i just had!

Quick Reply: residue and moisture found under oil cap... HELP PLEASE!!!