Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

top end tick on stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top end tick on stock motor

Hey guys, I have a 2000 z28. stock motor. Recently, today, I noticed a tick above idle on the passengers side bank. I am very sure it is from the valve train. What are the possibilities that a rocker backed off?
The motor has 27k on it. Its always had a slight tick. but more noticable today. Motor is smooth at any rpm`s. I run 91 octane, usually shell. I did put about 5g of chevrone in it a few days ago. Any helpm would be very appreciated.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

i assume that you never took the stock rockers off? if so, then stock rockers barely ever loosen up, and if they were going to, it would've been before 27k miles.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:30 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Check to see that all plug wires are on good and tight. I had one that backed off the plug and was causing a ticking sound. Make sure they are all tight in the coil packs too. You could also have a bad wire.

I just re-read your post. If it only occurs above idle, it's probably not the wires. It would occur all the time.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Well I took the valve train apart the other night. I couldnt beleave how easy it realy was. I have 6 pushrods on the passenger side that have rub marks from where they at one point in time made contact with the head So I decided to go ahead and do a full on cam swap. I have the car all ready, short of pulling the timing cover, to do the swap. I cant beleave how EASY it was to take things apart. Im having a local shop, Force Fed Performance, custom grind me a cam. The extent of the mods for this year will be, LS6intake, Cam, Kookslt, Custom Y with dual electric cut outs, a 100-125shot, 36lb inj, and all the basic bolt ons. They say NA I should be at around 420-430rwhp and sprayed add another 100-125hp.