Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating assembly weights

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotating assembly weights

I am looking for weights on OEM Gen III rotating assemblies (rod, rings, pin, piston, crank). Through use of the search function, I’ve found weights for the LS1, but nothing on the LS6, LS2, and LQ4 or LQ8.

I am also looking for the OEM rod bolt tensile ratings on the above assemblies.

If anyone has recommendations for a good reference manual on the Gen III’s that has relivant technical information, please share that as well. I am not interested in the generic “how to build a ***” type books. I enjoy technical papers and manuals, and outgrew hotrod and carcraft a couple decades ago.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Surely someone here has to know this. I have tried to get through to the Mahle tech lines, but lost patience after 45 minutes of being passed back and forth.

I am running calculations based off piston velocity in an attempt to determine max engine RPM using OEM components.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 439 Likes on 334 Posts

if youre using all stock components then its probably not going to be the rotating assembly that will be the limiting factor.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Teching In

It’ll probably be a toss up between the rod bolts, pushrods and valve train, but that’s not what I’m working on right now. Between bolt on boost and tuning, I see a large number of folks with more money than common sense spinning these 6 ltrs over 6000 rpm without any other thought than keeping the valves from tapping the pistons. I have no hands on experience with gen III platform based engines, but am more than mildly curious as I see significant improvements over previous GM designs. With millions of these engines on the road now, I’m certain I’ll have one on the stand before long.