Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on clay method of checking p to v

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? on clay method of checking p to v

Got a couple of questions on checking piston to valve clearance using the clay method.

1. What type of clay?
2. Should I check it with or without the head gaskets? - I'll be using .045 Cometics
3. If I don't use the head gaskets, do I just add in the thickness to the measurement I get?
4. What is the safe minimum clearances on the intake and exhaust?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Got a couple of questions on checking piston to valve clearance using the clay method.

1. What type of clay? Natural clay, not elastic
2. Should I check it with or without the head gaskets? - I'll be using .045 Cometics. You can do it without, but Cometic are reusable and you should use ARP bolts anyways, so i would put them on for a clearer picture.
3. If I don't use the head gaskets, do I just add in the thickness to the measurement I get? Yes compressed value
4. What is the safe minimum clearances on the intake and exhaust?
That is a grey area, I like .080 int/ and .100 exhaust for the street (kinda conservative, but I've never kissed my pistons)
Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks a lot! And yes, I am using ARP bolts. Ever heard of anyone bottoming them out in the bolt holes with milled heads?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No, but I've seen issues with later LS blocks (block thread holes not deep enough)
Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
No, but I've seen issues with later LS blocks (block thread holes not deep enough)
Yeap that being me when I put ARP Bolts in, called ARP and its a known issue they sell a special tool to bore the last threads that GM missed. But the tool costs over $100. Or they said you can safely grind a thread or two off the end of the bolt.

Dixit
Old 12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Quote <2. Should I check it with or without the head gaskets? - I'll be using .045 Cometics. You can do it without> End quote

1.Don't the truck pistons come above the deck like other LS engines? If so, it's not going to crank over with no gaskets.
2.Besides, theres less chance of getting a 'negative clearance reading' with the gasket in place.
3. And once the piston/deck is measured, perhaps a thinner gasket would be good for squish and compression ratio.The forum consensus is that 0.030" clearance is plenty. safe.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MadBill
Quote <2. Should I check it with or without the head gaskets? - I'll be using .045 Cometics. You can do it without> End quote

1.Don't the truck pistons come above the deck like other LS engines? If so, it's not going to crank over with no gaskets.
2.Besides, theres less chance of getting a 'negative clearance reading' with the gasket in place.
3. And once the piston/deck is measured, perhaps a thinner gasket would be good for squish and compression ratio.The forum consensus is that 0.030" clearance is plenty. safe.
Clarify, that's .030" quench, not P to V. Predator was talking P to V.

Quick Reply: ? on clay method of checking p to v