Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I do this with 4 grand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I do this with 4 grand?

I have an 01 SS and its only got intake and exhaust... I was wondering do you think 4 grand is enough to do this:

Pacesetters LT's
Heads
Cam - and all the goodies...pushrods etc...
Clutch
Tune

What else would i need to do it right??

maf? throttle body?

Any comments on how to do it right and make my car really go I would love it!
Any good H/C kits? should I port my own heads? whats a really good STREETABLE but most overall power... not crazy peaky... but the fastest balanced combo... Thanks alot!

Now I know I need a 12 bolt or 9 inch... but lets just disregard that right now...
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Var
On The Tree

buy used L6 heads and port them yourself. Cam and valve train is less than a grand. I can see it getting done with 4 grand or less.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Launching!

did you say Ls6 heads?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

You can do that for the money you have.. just shop around.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a very similar car, and I think you want what I've got. You could port the heads yourself, but I would expect minimal gains, and if you mess them up, they may flow less than stock. Personally, I'd get them professionally ported. Go big or go home.

Patriot ls6 heads 59cc chambers $1350
come with great springs, tit. retainers, viton seals, bronze valve guides, 5 angle valve job, gaskets and head bolts (over $100 in extras)
Cam of your choice in size $350 (Group Purchase)
Trendz 1-piece hardened Push Rods $90
Edelbrock LT's (much better than pace setter) $350 (shipped, uncoated)
Coome with new bolts, O2 extensions and gaskets (lots of extras again)
Spec stage 3 Clutch $350 (+<$30 to resurface flywheel)
New lifters (i reused my stockers w.30k on them) $220 (comp lifters)
Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers $320 (thats what i paid on a group purchase)
Dyno tune $500-550
Front seal and water pump gaskets $40
Fluids $50 (6 qts reg. oil, 2 gal coolant, 4 qts syn. trans fluid)
-----------------------------------------------------------
This gets us to...............................................$ 3700 (no taxes)

If you order it online out of state you'll be charged no taxes anyway

This is gonna be a tight setup. Even with my baby 224/224 cam I put down the numbers in my sig. Not bad for the money. Install took me about 40hrs, but I painted everythings all nice. Of course, you may want to change the plugs and little things like that. You'll also need some lok-tite and anti seize, fuel line disconnector, pulley puller. maybe some arp bolts if you want, i used the gm ones, theyre good. all the above and you'll be left with 300, you should prob get an ASP underdrive pulley and a slp 85 mm MAF if you want. Get the MAF before the tune. A ported TB is also another good thing to have. still really close to 4 g's. Do it yourself though, the install on a H/C package is gonna be at least another $1000. Personally, I like the 224 cam on the 112lsa. Next time im going bigger though. I'd get at least a 231/237 cam and I like the 112lsa for more power on motor and a better sound. hope this helps you out. let me know if you have any questions. Also, take all the emissions off while youre doing this, it makes it look a lot cleaner.

My clutch is doing fine so far, and Ive taken her on about 10 runs. no slipping, but i only have 35k. you could also use the stock rockers if you wanted, I still use my stockers, but I have a set of harland sharps right next to me as we speak. do whatever you can...
Old 12-09-2005, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AsianIce25
I have a very similar car, and I think you want what I've got. You could port the heads yourself, but I would expect minimal gains, and if you mess them up, they may flow less than stock. Personally, I'd get them professionally ported. Go big or go home.

Patriot ls6 heads 59cc chambers $1350
come with great springs, tit. retainers, viton seals, bronze valve guides, 5 angle valve job, gaskets and head bolts (over $100 in extras)
Cam of your choice in size $350 (Group Purchase)
Trendz 1-piece hardened Push Rods $90
Edelbrock LT's (much better than pace setter) $350 (shipped, uncoated)
Coome with new bolts, O2 extensions and gaskets (lots of extras again)
Spec stage 3 Clutch $350 (+<$30 to resurface flywheel)
New lifters (i reused my stockers w.30k on them) $220 (comp lifters)
Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers $320 (thats what i paid on a group purchase)
Dyno tune $500-550
Front seal and water pump gaskets $40
Fluids $50 (6 qts reg. oil, 2 gal coolant, 4 qts syn. trans fluid)
-----------------------------------------------------------
This gets us to...............................................$ 3700 (no taxes)

If you order it online out of state you'll be charged no taxes anyway

This is gonna be a tight setup. Even with my baby 224/224 cam I put down the numbers in my sig. Not bad for the money. Install took me about 40hrs, but I painted everythings all nice. Of course, you may want to change the plugs and little things like that. You'll also need some lok-tite and anti seize, fuel line disconnector, pulley puller. maybe some arp bolts if you want, i used the gm ones, theyre good. all the above and you'll be left with 300, you should prob get an ASP underdrive pulley and a slp 85 mm MAF if you want. Get the MAF before the tune. A ported TB is also another good thing to have. still really close to 4 g's. Do it yourself though, the install on a H/C package is gonna be at least another $1000. Personally, I like the 224 cam on the 112lsa. Next time im going bigger though. I'd get at least a 231/237 cam and I like the 112lsa for more power on motor and a better sound. hope this helps you out. let me know if you have any questions. Also, take all the emissions off while youre doing this, it makes it look a lot cleaner.

My clutch is doing fine so far, and Ive taken her on about 10 runs. no slipping, but i only have 35k. you could also use the stock rockers if you wanted, I still use my stockers, but I have a set of harland sharps right next to me as we speak. do whatever you can...
what kind of time did your set up with spray run?