Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building Sleeved Stroker vs. Rebuilding Stock LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Building Sleeved Stroker vs. Rebuilding Stock LS1

I am in the middle of a 427ci build. I have all of the parts ready to build the shortblock. I was planning on taking it to some local engine builders but they want $1100 minimum for just balance and assembly, which frankly I can't afford. So I was thinking of building the shortblock myself after sending the rotating assembly out to be balanced. The pistons, rings(already gapped), rods, main caps, and bearings have been already assembled in the block, but the crank has changed. So I am not sure if the main and rod bearings I have are going to work. I am thinking I can go buy an LS1 engine rebuild manual, but will that help me for building a stroker motor? Are there any major differences? What tools are required? I did the cam install myself pretty easily, but that didnt require tolerancing and blueprinting and what not. Any thoughts on this at all are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:32 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, weight the other side of the coin. can you afford down time, both time and money to have the motor pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled because of a potential problem that you might have caused or missed due to having no engine building experience?

you just spent thousands of your hard earned money, dont attempt to cut a corner now. stretch out the ETA of the project and save up a bit more money and have it built right. and more importantly find a shop with genIII building experience as shops arent impervious to **** ups either.

thats just my opinion anyhow.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

TTT...
Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrp
you just spent thousands of your hard earned money, dont attempt to cut a corner now. stretch out the ETA of the project and save up a bit more money and have it built right. and more importantly find a shop with genIII building experience as shops arent impervious to **** ups either.
I appreciate your worry. But I feel that me building the shortblock would not be cutting a corner. I am trying to gain more knowledge at this point to see if it's worth while to do it myself. I'd relate this to a cam install. I wouldn't try to install a cam if I didn't know what I was doing. I learned how to do it, then I went out and got it done, and it turned out for the best. Yes building a shortblock is much more complicated and takes more time, but I'm ready for that. With the proper tools, guidance, and tolerances by my side I think I could get it done. I have rebuilt engines before, but none with more than one cylinder.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it! With 4200 posts, I'm betting you know how to search and ask questions. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing it myself. Lots of money on tools (if you dont already own them). Don't skimp on the ARP head & main studs. You can use a Helm factory or Haynes (PepBoys/AutoZOne) manual for the steps and process, but use the manufacturer specs (or ask online) for torque values. In the words of Rob Schneider in every Adam Sandler movie: "You can do it!"

Old 12-12-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by itchygomey98
Go for it! With 4200 posts, I'm betting you know how to search and ask questions. Good luck.
I hate to say it but post count on this forum has little relationship to one's knowledge/expirience.

I'm doing it myself. Lots of money on tools (if you dont already own them). Don't skimp on the ARP head & main studs. You can use a Helm factory or Haynes (PepBoys/AutoZOne) manual for the steps and process, but use the manufacturer specs (or ask online) for torque values. In the words of Rob Schneider in every Adam Sandler movie: "You can do it!"
Thanks for the insight. I will probably go pick one of those up soon, or order it off the internet since they can be hard to find.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he meant that with your 4200+ posts, you are probably knowledagble enough to know how to use LS1Techs archives. Just about every question has been asked in some sort of way over the years. unlike your typical What cam should I buy question from a guy with 3 posts.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have done tons of searching, but have to ask the occasional question for the information that I can't seem to find. In fact, no one has answered my main question... Is rebuilding a stock LS1 anything like building a sleeved stroker, in terms of tolerances, clearances, tools, measurements, etc...?