Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know im retarded, just bare with me....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Location: Annapolis at the Naval Academy, Home is Omaha, Nebraska, though.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know im retarded, just bare with me....

Alright here goes. I currently have a 96 Impala SS, love the car to death, but most likely am going to get rid of it next time i get to go home. I just need something faster, plus its too much of a collectors car that ill never modify it, and taking care of it is just getting to be a lot to handle. Anyways the car im looking at getting is a 2002 ws6 with an m6 if i can find the right one for the right price. i know, i know, just drive it around stock for a while and enjoy the car, ive heard it a million times. anyways ive been saving up, and am probably going to start modifying it pretty quickly. ive been doing everything i can to research this car and the ls1, since i got the lt1 in the ss. im pretty sure ive read almost every post there is on here, basically i dont want to be a retard when i start modifying it, heres what im looking at right now, feel free to tell me your opinions on these, as well as any suggestions. im looking for a reasonably streetable car, just tons of ***** when i want to have fun. no power adders please, just n/a. also what parts of the drivetrain will need upgrading the most.

cartek stage 3x h/c - what kind of rwhp/rwtq will i get, ive heard everything from 410- 500

SLP loudmouths (buddy has em on his camaro, like the way they sound) - header suggestions?

3.73s -any recommendations here?
clutch recommendations?
will i need to upgrade my t-56,driveshaft?
will i need to modify my intake manifold at all if its a 2002?
pushrods?
anything else im forgetting?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if you do decide to pick up a LS1, welcome to the club

If you have that many questions, (no offense, seriously) I don't think you've nearly read enough on these boards. I'm on these boards hours a week reading some of what this site has to offer, and I've been reading for a few months now.. and still haven't decided on what cam, or clutch I want to pick up after Christmas. It took me months to decide on headers!

2001-2002 LS1's all come with the LS6 intake manifold, a significant improvement over the previous IM, so you won't need to mess much with that. Pushrods/retainers/valve springs are usually replaced when a cam upgrade is done (if you're thinking of a h/c package, than those definately need to be part of that upgrade).

Asking opinions on exhaust? Read the sticky at the top of the 'external engine' forum. Pages, and pages, and pages of people's reviews. Its like asking a man what type of woman he prefers... I like tall thin milky white with freckles and long red hair with green eyes... you get the point.

There are so many combinations of mods out there, it'll take you a while to get an idea of what will serve you well. All I can say is read, read, read, and search the thousands of threads that have excellent answers to the questions you've asked.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by usmc_ss04

cartek stage 3x h/c - what kind of rwhp/rwtq will i get, ive heard everything from 410- 500

SLP loudmouths (buddy has em on his camaro, like the way they sound) - header suggestions?

clutch recommendations?
pushrods?
Ok, H/C will probably net you closer to 400-420. 500 would be close to impossible. but 440 would be impressive.

SLP headers are a royal PITA and over priced. If you want quality go with Kooks or QTP. The cheap way out will go with Hooker LT's. 500 bucks and you get some good power with a tad bit of fittament issues. (maybe)

3.73-4.10's would probably be your best bet. BTW what are the specs on the cam that you are planning on running? that will have some determining factor in gearing.

Any Spec 3 or Ram Powergrip will give you the grab you are wanting with the power combo that you have stated above. It is 6 of one half dozen another as far as preference on those 2. Cartek makes a pretty good clutch from what I hear, but If you want the whole she-bang go with the Textrailia.

Driveshaft would be the last thing you would need.
You might want to go with steel shift forks and viper syncros. Hardened input/output shafts would be pretty hardcore but you wouldn need it. But if you do plan on the driveshaft go with a Steel nitrous shaft. I think it is Denny's.

LS6 will get it done. You may catch the 90/90 bit out of this, yes it is worth it, but if you have stock cubes it will really not be worth the $$$.

Hardedned pushrods from any sponsor will be the route you want to take. And of course double springs and TI retainers. But I bet that will come with the H/C package you are getting.

Leave the lifters alone. And If you want the added insurance ARP rod bolts. Maybe a ported oil pump, and the LS2 timing chain. there probably is more stuff, but that is all i can think of off the top of my head other than the ever-so-growing free mods.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Teching In

haha, thanks man. i was just wondering if their was a brand everyone prefers that uses the loudmouths, all i ever hear is long tubes. i know its got the ls6 manifold if i get the 02, i was just wondering if thatd be enough for my setup because it seems like no matter what people have they slam on those FAST intakes. im also just wondering if i can get some good advice on the drivetrain, if it can handle the power im going to be throwing at it, because, like the carteks, ive read tons of different things on here, some people saying the put on bolts on and trashed it, to one guy i think said 600 hp and a 200 shot of n20. lol. just lookin for some straight forward answers so i can plan this project out a little better. thanks again for the help though.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Teching In

thanks a lot orangeapeel. love the su-fi by the way. i think i printed roughly 120 pages from posts on here the other day i still need to go through. i dont know how you f body guys are, but the impala ss guys are an awesome group. i couldnt believe how helpful and friendly all of were when i got my 96. im really looking forward to getting the ws6, and hoping things will be the same way with you f body guys. so far the helps been awesome though. thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:43 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Not a problem. all you have to do is break the ice and we take care of the rest.

I like my custom orange sufi... go Dane Cook!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Teching In

haha, sounds good. you had your setup dynoed at all? just wondering what your numbers were.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

yeah I cracked the 410 mark with rwhp and rwtq at 401.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Go FAST, with out a doubt, it will net you much more hp over stock LS6 intake, esp with a cam and heads. Regardless of what some people may say, the upgrade to 90 even on stock cubes is worth it. Depending on your cam, you can gain up to 20-30 hp over the LS6 intake in the top end. You also won't lose any lowend trq, and you'll be in the up and up all the way with the 90 setup. Only thing, don't by the cheap **** FAST 90 throttlebody like I did. Piece of **** sticks, and it pisses me off...instead, get the NW 90, cheaper in price, but the quality is MUCH better

Regards,
Adrian
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Ok, H/C will probably net you closer to 400-420. 500 would be close to impossible. but 440 would be impressive.

SLP headers are a royal PITA and over priced. If you want quality go with Kooks or QTP. The cheap way out will go with Hooker LT's. 500 bucks and you get some good power with a tad bit of fittament issues. (maybe)

3.73-4.10's would probably be your best bet. BTW what are the specs on the cam that you are planning on running? that will have some determining factor in gearing.

Any Spec 3 or Ram Powergrip will give you the grab you are wanting with the power combo that you have stated above. It is 6 of one half dozen another as far as preference on those 2. Cartek makes a pretty good clutch from what I hear, but If you want the whole she-bang go with the Textrailia.

Driveshaft would be the last thing you would need.
You might want to go with steel shift forks and viper syncros. Hardened input/output shafts would be pretty hardcore but you wouldn need it. But if you do plan on the driveshaft go with a Steel nitrous shaft. I think it is Denny's.

LS6 will get it done. You may catch the 90/90 bit out of this, yes it is worth it, but if you have stock cubes it will really not be worth the $$$.

Hardedned pushrods from any sponsor will be the route you want to take. And of course double springs and TI retainers. But I bet that will come with the H/C package you are getting.

Leave the lifters alone. And If you want the added insurance ARP rod bolts. Maybe a ported oil pump, and the LS2 timing chain. there probably is more stuff, but that is all i can think of off the top of my head other than the ever-so-growing free mods.
Don't forget the ported TB.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

clutch recommendations?
pushrods?
headers i would go with kooks 1 3/8" stepped to 1 7/8"
if you are going with headers and h/c i would stay far away from the slp loudmouth
i would say a spec 5 clutch
a denny's driveshaft
4.11 gears if you get a m6, 3.73 if you get a a4. also if you are getting a m6 i would get a 9" rear.
with that h/c package i would go with the fast 90/90 setup
and i would bet that all that would put you in the 440-450hp range.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Teching In

what are you recommendations as far as head cam packages go then if not the cartek stage 3x? i would really love to see 475rwhp/rwtq if i can out of this, also do you think it will still be plenty streetable?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like was stated before, read all stickies, most answers are there, if that doesn't cover it the search button will net you any answer you can think of. I read on here constantly, I don't have many posts because the search button will prolly net you the answer you are wanting. Kooks are prolly the top of the line, when I did my H/c swap I cheaped out and bought the pacesetters. I actually think that they are better quuality and way better fitment than the hookers I put on my last car. As far as clutch goes, my last car had a spec stg 3, with no problems. I am running the patriot stg 2 heads with the big valves and a tsp tourquer cam, throug an A4 with a 4000 stall and 323 gears on a 96 degree day and 92percent humidity, Ed wright finally got the tune to make 406hp/474tq. Not bad considering the amount of money spent. Keep an eye out in the group special forum, the vendors here sometimes run specials that are hard to beat. Good luck and keep reading.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by CBX
Don't forget the ported TB.
I was sticking that in the free mod category i guess
Old 12-13-2005, 12:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

what are you recommendations as far as head cam packages go then if not the cartek stage 3x? i would really love to see 475rwhp/rwtq if i can out of this, also do you think it will still be plenty streetable?
You might want to stick it out for the new Predator castings from Patriot, and go big on the bumpstick. If I had it to do again that would be the route I would most certainly take.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Teching In

so what about the drivetrain, if i get above 450 is my drivetrain going to be able to handle it?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Simple answer, No...
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey devildog...I went with a G5X3, a set of AFR 205 heads, a Spec 3 clutch, a Denny's nitrous proof driveshaft, and a Moser 9' with 4.56's. If I had to do it over again, I'd build the car from the rear, forward. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, b/c Im not subscribing to the thread. Id be more than happy to give some advice to a fellow Jarhead..