Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing engine..questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing engine..questions!

Im removing my engine from the bottom following the right-up I found while searching.

Exactly what wire harnesses do I need to remove from the engine/firewall before I can remove the engine? Please add pics if available.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to detach the wires from the computer on the passenger side fender well or pull the computer out with the harness.... doing that you will have to detach the two wiring harnesses on the computer that lead into the car. I have found it to be easier pulling the engine from the top... but i guess its because i have done it too many times.... (takes me 2 1/2 hours)
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I pulled my moter I left the wireing harness's in the car. I pulled the lid,maf,tb, and intake out un pluged all the wires on top. Then unbolt starter wires and crank position sensor and let all the wires hang as the motor comes out the bottom. Going back in just watch so nothing gets stuck, and when the engine is about half way in start to place the wires where they go just as if you did a intake swap. just another option.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i understand you right, the harness that you have to take out from the firewall is the one right behind the PCM You will have to compress the grommet, and pull the wires through. (To do it the easy way). Then disconnect the blue and white connectors. I have pictures, but they are too big to post here. If you want to, send me your e-mail, and i'll send them to you.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure on the color but you have it right.

I have done it out the top and out the bottom, both with the harness and without. Unless you have done it NUMEROUS times, out the bottom WITH the harness is the best way to go! It is pretty simple.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, if you get the book "How to build high performance LS1/LS6 v8's by william hendzel... It has a great step by step writeup of how to take the engine out.