Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 cam in my LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 cam in my LS1?

Pardon the n00b question...I am over from the Corvette Forum - first of all...I must say you guys get way more into the engine and testing things then a lot of the guys over on the CF do. (and I like that)

So here is my situation...I have a 97 C5 automatic...I have Kooks long tubes, Haltech Stinger, LS6 intake and Z06 catback...I started to notice the Dreded Crank pulley wabble!! so I pick up a new underdrive ASP unit, but thought while I am in there..should I do a cam, oil pump, timing chain and springs? I use this as my daily driver so I need it to remain drivable with good street manors. I have read many a post here of an 02 and up LS6 cam giving approx 30HP and not really needing an expensive dyno tune (is this true)?

would it be a big waste of time and money going to a Z06 cam over my already anemic early LS1 cam (specs: .472/.479 intake\exhaust lift 199/207 duration with a 117 LSA) 02 and up Z would be .550\.550 intake\exhaust 204/218 with a 117.5 LSA

Appreciate any info you have or help you can give me!

oh, by the way...I am having all this work done at my local performance shop...cam install quoted @ $750.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think it would be a waste of time or money but there are much better cams which would get you better gains than the Z06 cam. Keep in mind you'll need new springs and pushrods if you do swap the cam. $750 seems really cheap. Is that for labor only?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by radkon
I don't think it would be a waste of time or money but there are much better cams which would get you better gains than the Z06 cam. Keep in mind you'll need new springs and pushrods if you do swap the cam. $750 seems really cheap. Is that for labor only?
Thanks - and yes, $750 is labor only...I am bringing all the parts to have installed. What I am trying to avoid is the $450 dyno tune right now...as my budget for parts and install is being drained rather quickly!

Do you think 30HP is realistic for this cam alone? and I was planning to get the appropriate springs and push rods as well..

Thank you!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by byte_me
Thanks - and yes, $750 is labor only...I am bringing all the parts to have installed. What I am trying to avoid is the $450 dyno tune right now...as my budget for parts and install is being drained rather quickly!

Do you think 30HP is realistic for this cam alone? and I was planning to get the appropriate springs and push rods as well..

Thank you!

Here's something to compare: Our torquer cam is basically an LS6 cam with tighter lobe centers and advanced. It picked up 40ft/lbs of torque and 12hp on a stock LS6.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Katech
Here's something to compare: Our torquer cam is basically an LS6 cam with tighter lobe centers and advanced. It picked up 40ft/lbs of torque and 12hp on a stock LS6.
Now that sounds interesting...can you give me some specs on it? Right now I have my stock torque converter and am trying not to have to break into the rear as of yet to install a larger stall...will this work with a stock stall and my A4 transmission? what is the LSA etc...

you can email me if you would like @ thecurnows@comcast.net for further info and price.

Thanks! Bob