Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 stroker kits for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking LS1 stroker kits for dummies

I am looking into modifying a LS1 and I figured a stroker kit would be a solid place to start for an awsome street build up. I am kinna new to the domestic tuning scene, although I have studied imports for years and know quite a bit about hp and the creation thereof, I have kind of switched sides you might say, and the reason for this is I have become fasanated with the lightweight high hp potential of the AL chevy smallblocks, anyway that is enough background, now to the point. I was woundering what kind of stroker would be best suited to a med budget street car, I was reading about a 455ci LS1 kit but it requires aftermarket sleeves, I could not find the exact kit for sale anywhere but I have seen similar kits for around $3300 with forged internals, but I have no idea what it would cost to sleve the block, or how much it will cost to modify the heads/cam or get a new set of heads to accomadate the additinal displacement. Another question with good aftermarket sleves and 4.125 in bore can the sleaves take any boost or are they only compatable with NA pressures? Another question, how much bore can I run without re-sleaving to re-sleave the block? I don't know too much about the VE of pushrod engines, but is it possable to reach my goal of 500hp with a streetable cam (without boost or NOS) on a 455, a 427, or even a 383? As you can prob guess I am planning to run pump gas (91 oct). I am new to this so don't mind me if I say somthing stupid, just have your laugh and tell me where I went wrong Ok.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do some searches about different stroker kits. There is a ton of potential, it just depends on how much you want to spend. What's your budget like?!

Originally Posted by kachok25
I am looking into modifying a LS1 and I figured a stroker kit would be a solid place to start for an awsome street build up. I am kinna new to the domestic tuning scene, although I have studied imports for years and know quite a bit about hp and the creation thereof, I have kind of switched sides you might say, and the reason for this is I have become fasanated with the lightweight high hp potential of the AL chevy smallblocks, anyway that is enough background, now to the point. I was woundering what kind of stroker would be best suited to a med budget street car, I was reading about a 455ci LS1 kit but it requires aftermarket sleeves, I could not find the exact kit for sale anywhere but I have seen similar kits for around $3300 with forged internals, but I have no idea what it would cost to sleve the block, or how much it will cost to modify the heads/cam or get a new set of heads to accomadate the additinal displacement. Another question with good aftermarket sleves and 4.125 in bore can the sleaves take any boost or are they only compatable with NA pressures? Another question, how much bore can I run without re-sleaving to re-sleave the block? I don't know too much about the VE of pushrod engines, but is it possable to reach my goal of 500hp with a streetable cam (without boost or NOS) on a 455, a 427, or even a 383? As you can prob guess I am planning to run pump gas (91 oct). I am new to this so don't mind me if I say somthing stupid, just have your laugh and tell me where I went wrong Ok.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Teching In

I am looking at about a 5-6k budget, possably a little more if needed. Am I going about this the right way or should I just be looking at forced induction.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am looking at about a 5-6k budget, possably a little more if needed. Am I going about this the right way or should I just be looking at forced induction.
You state you want 500WHP streetable and don't want F/I.

Yes for 5-6K it can be done.

How would depend on what you want out of the motor I'm sure a search can help or ask people who have strokers for reviews.

Hope you got headed in the right dircetion
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
You state you want 500WHP streetable and don't want F/I.

Yes for 5-6K it can be done.

How would depend on what you want out of the motor I'm sure a search can help or ask people who have strokers for reviews.

Hope you got headed in the right dircetion
It is not that I don't want forced induction, just that by time I re-build the engine with the forged internals that I need I would be a little straped for cash when it came time for the supercharger and fuel system upgrades. I figure once you have the engine taken apart and rebore it to freashen it up, you might as well just make it a stroker since you are replaceing the rotating assembly anyway. Either way I would be happy with it, if there is a way I can reach my goal of 500hp I am open to ideas.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over 500hp is definitely possible with a 427. We use resleeved LS2 cases or the C5R block. You can get the case and max out your budget though.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Seems like people are doing well with the 402's and 408's. I think the 402 is a 6.0L block with a 4" stroker crank, and 408 is a honed out 402. That would definitely give you a lot of bang for your buck if you're going with a stroker setup. The exotic blocks definitely but a dent in your budget.

Consider an STS turbo kit. They're right around that price range, and you won't necessarily have to rebuild your engine. Some 6.0L 317 casting heads will get your compression down to something managable on a stock block.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

A good 402 LS2 will run right in your budget and should make 500rwhp with decent heads and cam. Katech mentioned a 427 but that is a bit out of you price range I imagine, even if your tried to do it cheap. The blocks alone are around $4000. When the motor is done it usually ends up around $10k or more.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastKat
Seems like people are doing well with the 402's and 408's. I think the 402 is a 6.0L block with a 4" stroker crank, and 408 is a honed out 402. That would definitely give you a lot of bang for your buck if you're going with a stroker setup. The exotic blocks definitely but a dent in your budget.

Consider an STS turbo kit. They're right around that price range, and you won't necessarily have to rebuild your engine. Some 6.0L 317 casting heads will get your compression down to something managable on a stock block.
Where can I find this STS turbo kit? How much boost can the stock internals handle? I have seen 8psi procharger kits designed for stock intrenals is it safe to go any higher than that? Would 8psi and a good set of heads do the trick?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
A good 402 LS2 will run right in your budget and should make 500rwhp with decent heads and cam. Katech mentioned a 427 but that is a bit out of you price range I imagine, even if your tried to do it cheap. The blocks alone are around $4000. When the motor is done it usually ends up around $10k or more.
What makes the block so expensive I though you could just bore out a stock LS1??? Is is the sleaves that raise the price so much?? Does the LS2 have the same dimensions as the LS1? I am hoping to do a swap into a 240sx and I know the LS1 fits, and I can buy the mounting hardwear but would the LS2 fit the same engine bay/mounts.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

The LS1 and the LS2 are nearly the same. There are some minor differences. No you can't bore an LS1. Sleeved blocks are expensive because they require lots of machine work and the sleeves themselves cost a bundle. And LS2 should fit in the same space as an LS1.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What makes the block so expensive I though you could just bore out a stock LS1??? Is is the sleaves that raise the price so much?? Does the LS2 have the same dimensions as the LS1? I am hoping to do a swap into a 240sx and I know the LS1 fits, and I can buy the mounting hardwear but would the LS2 fit the same engine bay/mounts.
The dimensions and mounts are the same. You could install a relsleeved LS2 just as easily as you could an LS1. We can provide everything you need to use the LS2 block instead. We are not planning on resleeving anymore LS1 blocks. The LS2 block is much better for resleeving. The reason it is so expensive is because there is a lot of labor involved in the resleeving process and machining for our billet main caps.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Katech
The dimensions and mounts are the same. You could install a relsleeved LS2 just as easily as you could an LS1. We can provide everything you need to use the LS2 block instead. We are not planning on resleeving anymore LS1 blocks. The LS2 block is much better for resleeving. The reason it is so expensive is because there is a lot of labor involved in the resleeving process and machining for our billet main caps.
Is there any major weight difference between the two engines? I am trying to preserve the near perfect 50/50 weight ballence of the 240 and the LS1 is only about 12lbs heavier than the stock 4banger. I don't quite get what you are saying it the LS2 cheeper to resleave? I don't mean to sound like an idiot here but what cars had the LS2 in them? And just for the sake of my stupidity on the subject what are the differences between the LS1 and LS2? How much money would I be looking at for a stroker LS2?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS2 = 6.0L AL in new GTO's & in C6's. It'll fit where ever an ls1 does, and it should weigh the same. I don't know that an LS2 is any cheaper to resleeve, Katech just said it's better (I don't know why though). You can expect ~4000 for a 402 short block, + 4-6k in heads, intake, cam, headers, ect depending how far you wanna take it. Not to mention all the little nickle and dime stuff that comes up in a conversion project like you're planning.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
LS2 = 6.0L AL in new GTO's & in C6's. It'll fit where ever an ls1 does, and it should weigh the same. I don't know that an LS2 is any cheaper to resleeve, Katech just said it's better (I don't know why though). You can expect ~4000 for a 402 short block, + 4-6k in heads, intake, cam, headers, ect depending how far you wanna take it. Not to mention all the little nickle and dime stuff that comes up in a conversion project like you're planning.
Thanks for the input, the LS2 is a little steep for my price range, is there any way you would sugest to get 500hp out of an LS1? I know boring is out of the question but how about just a stroker kit with (near) stock sized pistons? Could I get those kinds of numbers with a high flow head and a twin screw supercharger on a basicly stock LS1? (hp and low end grunt ) BTW the budget I gave is just for the engine, I am counting the conversion seprate.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The blocks are similar but the cooling on the ls2 is what made it better for sleeving. The ls1 sleeved blocks had lots of problems with coolant leaking into the chambers. That problem has been solved with the ls2. The ls1 has a 3.897 bore and the ls2 is a 4 in bore. Both weigh about the same and can only take a clean up hone. There is a new 6.2 L 4.065 bore block coming out. I believe it will be an alluminum block also. There are a couple threads in ls1 and ls2 section on here about them now. I would do a ls2 block without sleeves with the stock 4" bore or maybe the new 4.065" truck block with a 4" eagle crank. Lots of good heads out and even more coming out shortly. I think there are 8 aftermarket head castings available plus the gm castings. The LS2 comes in the c6 vette and the gto. I don't know if you could really use that kind of power on a 240. I have problems hooking it up on a 4k lb f body.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strokedls1
The blocks are similar but the cooling on the ls2 is what made it better for sleeving. The ls1 sleeved blocks had lots of problems with coolant leaking into the chambers. That problem has been solved with the ls2. The ls1 has a 3.897 bore and the ls2 is a 4 in bore. Both weigh about the same and can only take a clean up hone. There is a new 6.2 L 4.065 bore block coming out. I believe it will be an alluminum block also. There are a couple threads in ls1 and ls2 section on here about them now. I would do a ls2 block without sleeves with the stock 4" bore or maybe the new 4.065" truck block with a 4" eagle crank. Lots of good heads out and even more coming out shortly. I think there are 8 aftermarket head castings available plus the gm castings. The LS2 comes in the c6 vette and the gto. I don't know if you could really use that kind of power on a 240. I have problems hooking it up on a 4k lb f body.
The F body is great and all especaly for drag racing, but the reason I want it in a 240 is because it handles very crisply, and weighs about 700lbs less than a F body, not to mention that it has a fully independent rear suspension that makes it wounderful on less than perfectly even surfaces, but if it looks like the swap will cost me more than the engine, I'll just put my whole piggy bank into a late model camaro. I could do some very impressive things to the suspension for two thousand dollars maby even make it out handle the 240!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get 500 rwhp out of a FI stock LS1 with some 6.0L truck heads. Although I don't know what kind of room you're going to have left in the engine bay, so you're probably looking at a custom setup, or a rear mount turbo like someone already mentioned. There is only one twin screw type charger out there for the LS1, and it was designed for vettes, and will not clear the cowl on an f-body. I have no idea what kind of room you're looking at.
.If it were me I would get a forged 34X to cut down on costs, get some bad *** heads, and a medium to big cam, with the right intake you should be pushing 470 hp to the wheels. Then throw some spray at it if you still want more
Old 12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
You could get 500 rwhp out of a FI stock LS1 with some 6.0L truck heads. Although I don't know what kind of room you're going to have left in the engine bay, so you're probably looking at a custom setup, or a rear mount turbo like someone already mentioned. There is only one twin screw type charger out there for the LS1, and it was designed for vettes, and will not clear the cowl on an f-body. I have no idea what kind of room you're looking at.
.If it were me I would get a forged 34X to cut down on costs, get some bad *** heads, and a medium to big cam, with the right intake you should be pushing 470 hp to the wheels. Then throw some spray at it if you still want more
With a twin screw supercharger I could just cut a hole in the hood and fiberglass over it I think it would look kinna cool anyway, but the one I saw fit quite nicely in the V of the engine, it was from Aussie land though so it prob turns backwards like everything else there LOL. I don't know how well those rear mounted turbos work and I know they don't build one for a 240 and prob never will. but if I go with the F body I might go that route. What kind of supercharger are you talking about anyway I have never seen one, it a configural like the prochargers?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Just for kicks what would a long block for an LS7 cost? Way too much I know but just in case I inherit a million buck or somthig

Quick Reply: LS1 stroker kits for dummies