Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which head gaskets for stock bottom 346?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which head gaskets for stock bottom 346?

im running cam only right now, but im working on a set of heads kinda on the side.. a set of 241 castings.. they wont be milled or anything.. and i will also spray the car from time to time if that matters???

i see a lot of headgaskets on a lot of sites.... i may be running aftermarket pistons when i put these on.. that would only give me more pvc clearance tho..

i guess if anything id like to go up in compression
Old 12-20-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jon - Once you have the bottom end together, you need to measure how far out of the hole your piston is. That will determine the head gasket you will need to accomplish a good quench. I like to play it tight but safe so I would shoot for right around .035 - .038 quench. If they come out of the hole .011 and you want .035 - .038 quench, .011 + .035 = .046 to .049 thick gasket. But you really need to know how far those pistons come out the hole. The tightest I've heard of anyone running on an LSx is .029. Opening up the quench will make it more prone to detonation. As far as compression, I would accomplish that with the piston and head CC.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, how are those heads coming along?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

there coming along pretty good.. i will send ya pics.. havn't really removed a lot of material yet, which is all fine and good, cuz just a lil here and there adn polishing is making a ton of difference imo.... it seems it will be impossible to get all of the ports identical... i mean i have a micrometer and im getting everything as even from one ot the next as possible, but it just aint gonna be the same thing all around exactly...

we will prolly finish, polish them up, post pics for suggestions of what needs work

im going to order stock sized aftermarket valves from i guess like manley or patriot or whoever...

i may wind up running the stock pistons? so in this case i still need something other then the stock sized head gasket???? oh well just one more thing ill have to research, have no clue what quench and all that is lol