Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest CI stroker? Solid Roller? Nitrous?

Old 12-21-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest CI stroker? Solid Roller? Nitrous?

I have a few questions about the topics in the title. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a turbo or supercharger. But lately ive been thinking of a solid roller, stroker on nitrous. So my questions are as follows:
1. What is the largest that a LS1/LS2 iron block can be stroked and bored to and where can i get it?
2. What are the gains and losses with going solid roller and can the biggest CI stroker take it?
3. Then on top of that can it take a good shot of direct port nitrous and about how big of a shot could it take?
4. What kind of a rear-end(gearing, size, spool or posi)would i need with this combo?
5. How high could i get the engine to rev to?
6. What kinda power levels could i reach with the stroker, huge solid roller, some afr 230's i think they are, 90/90 Intake/Tb, and all the other bolt-ons?
7. What size exhaust would i need and where could i get it?

Anything else would be geratly helpful. My goals are an extremely nastly sounding, really hard running for street, and i want some single digit times at the track. I dont care about driveability, as long as it can still be driven on the street. The car also will stay a manual for atleast another year with this setup.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:30 AM
Launching!

Default www.synergymotorsports.net

Talk to Rick at http://www.synergymotorsports.net/ in Freemont.
510-796-3749
He has about a dozen big cube F/I builds on the calendar. 370-427, Centrifiguls, Ts, Four TT's and some 200+ shot nitrous cars.

1. What is the largest that a LS1/LS2 iron block can be stroked and bored to and where can i get it?

402-427 to my knowledge (could be 457 with the right crank, not sure on the iron blocks). Rick hand builds each his motors, builds them specifically for F/I and goes over ever last detail to extent of putting 10-15 more hours in it. He can also get you an over the counter build, but with what you are doing your want a great build. He also has iron blocks sitting the shop and built iron 402 and 408 short blocks on stands.

2. What are the gains and losses with going solid roller and can the biggest CI stroker take it?

Very elborate answer, but he can speed density tune the largest cams and make them more drivable.

3. Then on top of that can it take a good shot of direct port nitrous and about how big of a shot could it take?

200 repeatable and I think his currently working one where the guy is planning on doing a 400.

4. What kind of a rear-end(gearing, size, spool or posi)would i need with this combo?

There are custom way beefy custom setups on cars in the shop. 9", four links, custom cages, etc..

5. How high could i get the engine to rev to?
6,500-7,500, cam dependant.

6. What kinda power levels could i reach with the stroker, huge solid roller, some afr 230's i think they are, 90/90 Intake/Tb, and all the other bolt-ons?

He would use ET Performance 245/255's and a FAST90 or LS7 heads and manifold.

7. What size exhaust would i need and where could i get it?

They custom fab stainless exhaust in the shop.

Best is to stop by the shop and see examples.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

What part of california are you in? if your in N. California give Rick a call he just finished building me a iron 408 (as mentioned above I think), I cant say enough about the time the guy spends with a guy trying to choose the best route for his customers.

If your in So Cal (or Vegas- like one of his current customers LOL) you can drive it up and fly back! LOL.......

Good luck

Damian

President Norcal LS1/LT1
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggest isn't always smartest. Especially if you spray. Many guys that spray with do a 408 build using a 4.030 bore that way is you have a problem one day you dont have to start all over. You can just bore it out to 4.060 and order new pistons. Saves from having to buy another shortblock.
Lee (fear the ls1) has ran many mid 9's in his Futural Motorsports 408.
T-400, 5500 stall, and I believe he was running a 4.10 gear but I cant remember anymore. What your after isn't that hard if you have the money. I see no reason why 8's isn't possible with the right solid roller 408 setup. The bigger cubes iron motor's are from a longer crank. The HP gains wont be hardly noticeable but the torque gain could be impressive. If you spray though then you will have all the torque you need.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
Biggest isn't always smartest. Especially if you spray. Many guys that spray with do a 408 build using a 4.030 bore that way is you have a problem one day you dont have to start all over. You can just bore it out to 4.060 and order new pistons. Saves from having to buy another shortblock.
Lee (fear the ls1) has ran many mid 9's in his Futural Motorsports 408.
T-400, 5500 stall, and I believe he was running a 4.10 gear but I cant remember anymore. What your after isn't that hard if you have the money. I see no reason why 8's isn't possible with the right solid roller 408 setup. The bigger cubes iron motor's are from a longer crank. The HP gains wont be hardly noticeable but the torque gain could be impressive. If you spray though then you will have all the torque you need.

Lee had 4.56 gears and was going 9.60's N/A with his 408. Crazy solid roller with very high lift numbers, but nothing too exotic. That was with ls-6 heads too.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure if anymore then 408 would be needed, and the ability to rehone the block if somethign happens is probably worth while. Maybe a longer stroke, say 4.1 max would work, but the motor would be out of square alot, if that matters to you.

As for the heads/cam/solid roller.. you can probably get to 7500rpm, not much mroe without dry sumping the thign for proper oiling, unless you were to go with the world block, with the priority oiling for the main, it could be capable of more rpm, and definately alot more CI. The solid roller stuff is harsh on the valvesprings, huge *** ones are needed as well as regular changing of them.. be aware.

I'd say that with a the BIG etp heads, or a really good set of AFR's or allpro's, sheet metal intake setup, or somethign like the gm single plane and a elbow setup and a max CI setup with the world block, somewhere in the 450+ CI range ( with rebuild room) big compression, 14 to 1 or so, you should be able to hit 800 rwhp... on race gas amybe even more. Spray it.. and who knows.. depends on how much you want to hose it with.

I guess a better question is do you have the $ to back a project liek this.. you are talking about a 15K motor at a MINIMUM... and every other part on your car will need changing as well, as it will rip the car to shreads.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I guess i will definately have to give Rick a call. As far as costs go, i want to set the cap at $20k for the car. So maybe ill have to turn it down some. I was leaning towards a 408, solid roller, was figuring on getting a moser 12 bolt with 4.56 gears, if i could i think i would like to switch to a dry sump oiling system. I think as far as compression would 13-1 be a good amount. I dont wanna be on the edge of what is and isnt possible. I wanna just be a little bit under the edge. I would like to rev to 7500-7800 and wanna run somewhere in the neighborhood of a 200-300 wet shot. So does what i want sound do able. Around what would the cost be you think. What is the world block and where can i take a look at it.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

World block just came out, do a search on it. You are looking at alot more then 20 K, you are talking 20K for a good solid roller motor, a solid roller setup ALONE is about 2500, the 12 bolt is 2500, you will need a ransmission, there'a another 3 grand, and if you actually plan on running this in a car, get ready to spend 10 grand on the chassis, unless you are a fabricator and are doing it all yourself.

Not a shot, but I don'tt hink you have any idea what it is that you are looking to do. To build a 9 second car, from scratch, it is gonna cost you 10 grand in chassis, and a good 6 grand in drivretrain, by the time you have a transmission built, converter, driveshaft and rear. Now, the motor, what you are talking about, a good solid roller 408 is gonna be north of 15 grand, and a good wet direct port system is another grand, and the fuel system for the nitrous is another 600, and the fuel system for the motro is another 600.

I suggest you talk to someone that has built a 9 sec car from scratch, and see what is really involved.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thats a good idea. I guess i dont really know what is involved. Thats why i am on here asking. I will do more research, thank you very much for you help.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Well i just spoke to Rick and he is going to look into the cost for me some. I decided on a solid roller 408 aiming for 600rwhp. So we will see what he comes up with. Could i hit 600rwhp in a hydraulic cammed 408? If I can do you know about what the price difference would be between the two?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

you might be able to hit 600 with a hydr but the cost difference wouldn't be much. They make some very high lift hyd cams for the ls-1. For your set-up I would go solid roller, the only drawback is adjusting the valves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Biggest CI stroker? Solid Roller? Nitrous?