Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT: Cam HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: Cam HELP ASAP

I am in the middle of doing my cam swap... i am about ready to pull the cam out... i slid the right bar in (jrp or w/e they are) and it slid in... the last one went in rough.... tried to pull it out will not come out at all... ok fine lets start pulling the cam out since both bars are all the way in. the cam will not come out at all. it spins 3/4 of a rotation and gets "stuck" u can use a screw driver to turn it over but its not possible with ur hand. I can pull it out maybe 1/2-3/4 of an inch and thats about it. this is fraustrating and this jrp bars are a joke for fitment. what should i do here??!??!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The JRP rods won't work on an 02 motor from what I understand in the searches I did. I would put the cam back in, remove the rods and then get some metal rods (some use wood) to use instead. Do a search, when the 02's first came out a lot of guys ran into this problem. I ended up making my own rods for my 02.

Here are photo's of the tools I made.

Don't force anything.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: Cam HELP ASAP-lifter_tool_1_2.jpg   URGENT: Cam HELP ASAP-lifter_tool_2_2.jpg  

Last edited by vettenuts; 12-23-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made very similiar rods to those in the pics. I have an 00 and it worked great for me!

One thing that you may want to try is spinning the cam in a real fast jerk to get the lifters up and then slide the rods in. A real quick quarter turn of the cam should do it.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cam is hitting a lifter, most likely one in the back. You could start over with homemade rods, or use pen magnets. That's what I did. My driver's side JPR rod went in fine, but the passenger side only half way. I picked up eight pen magnets and put them in the passenger side PR holes and tried pulling up on those eight lifters. Eventually the cam slid out. Chances are it's a lifter on the side where the rod didn't go in smoothly, it was for me. Keep working at it. You'll get it.