Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head problem (good one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head problem (good one)

My wonderful wife surprised me with a set of Dart 205 heads for christmas. I had been debating on whether or not to get the "unproven" darts, or spend the extra money on the AFRs that have lots of #s to back up their claims.
Now I have to decide whether or not to send the Darts back and spend an extra $900 on the AFRs, or do some minor cleanup and finishing on the Darts and save the money.
Like I said, it's a good situation to be in, but now is the time when it would be good to have some good solid #s on the Darts just to see how they are going to stack up to the rest of the A.M. finished heads. Will there be 10,15hp difference, are will they be basically equal? Anyone seen any results yet???
Old 12-26-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could be the first...
Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Its the thought that really counts and I would be proud to run em for the simple fact that the wife bought em for me . She may not say it but if you send em back and get another brand she may feel like she didnt get what you would like to have for Christmas. They're gonna be good no matter how ya slice it anyway like you said.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

She really wouldn't be offended at all if I sent them back; she knows I can be a little **** retentive when it comes to having the best; but then that characteristic conflicts with my natural "thriftyness." I, like most others, are in contant search of "the best deal" even if it is just a matter of opinion.
I will proably just wind up doing some minor porting on the Darts, put the extra cash in my pocket, and hope their as good as Dart claims.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me, id keep the darts and just clean them up with a few cartridge rolls myself. I doubt youll see that 10 or 15 HP difference unless youve got a fast 90/90 setup, and even then it might not be that wide a gap.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
I will proably just wind up doing some minor porting on the Darts, put the extra cash in my pocket, and hope their as good as Dart claims.
do that then post your numbers
Old 12-26-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also bought the Dart 205's. When I bought them, the way I figured is the money saved can be used for other quality items so I also bought a set of AFR 12 point studs and Morel lifters. I really like the AFR's though and have for some time. Also, I think in the coming months there will be more porting of the Darts and given time you might be able to pull them back off and send them in for more port work if you wanted to. I think they are a good base to start with. The AFR's and the ETP's are really nice quality heads, but the Darts also have some good potential going forward.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great Christmas present. I vote- clean up the Darts and get the 12pt studs. Then post some results.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If it is a gift from your wife, run them as is and thank her a lot for the great gift she gave you, while praising the GOOD choice she made.
That will be the best political decision you've made lately, trust me.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I doubt youll see that 10 or 15 HP difference unless youve got a fast 90/90 setup, and even then it might not be that wide a gap.
That's what I'm hoping. I think I will just blend down the guide bosses, smooth out the rough casting on the ports with a few sanding rolls and smooth the CCs. Then bolt them on with some Cometics and try to find someone that can do a good dyno tune. (I have a mail order now)

What are you guys using to smooth out CCs? Are you literaly doing it by hand, or is there a better way?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

i'd be honored to run something that my wife/gf got me...Might not be the best in your book, but she did something that most guys on here would kill for...I know i would love my girl to buy me stuff That's why i educate her
Old 12-26-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats on the Darts!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Hey, does your wife have a sister?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threesixes
Hey, does your wife have a sister?
Or a daughter?

J/K bottle rocket, please dont kill me...
Old 12-26-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WsSickLs6
i'd be honored to run something that my wife/gf got me...Might not be the best in your book, but she did something that most guys on here would kill for...I know i would love my girl to buy me stuff That's why i educate her
The cool thing is;
1. She actully helps me do the work on the car as well, or at least is there to pick up the tools when I throw them in anger. (The KOOKs install was lots of fun)
2. She has her own C5 that is mildly modded with parts of her own choosing, (along with a few recomendations from me)
3. And best of all, she's a total fox (that no one would ever think would know ANYTHING about a car engine, much less have ever touched one) with big Ta-Ta's, so it makes it even cooler when she helps me on really HOT days
I think I will take you guys advice; I'm keeping the Darts!!
Old 12-26-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
The cool thing is;
1. She actully helps me do the work on the car as well, or at least is there to pick up the tools when I throw them in anger. (The KOOKs install was lots of fun)
2. She has her own C5 that is mildly modded with parts of her own choosing, (along with a few recomendations from me)
3. And best of all, she's a total fox (that no one would ever think would know ANYTHING about a car engine, much less have ever touched one) with big Ta-Ta's, so it makes it even cooler when she helps me on really HOT days
I think I will take you guys advice; I'm keeping the Darts!!
Got any pics?... I mean of the Darts
Old 12-26-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
Got any pics?... I mean of the Darts
Yea!! ain't digital cameras GREAT!! (completly replaces the old polaroid)
Old 12-26-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
Great Christmas present. I vote- clean up the Darts and get the 12pt studs. Then post some results.
I agree, how do you know if they are poor heads if you havent seen results on them yet.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

I would keep them...My wife does not condone a single penny that I spend on my car. If my wife were half as interested as yours and just helped me wash my car I would probably be in heaven.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SgtB
I would keep them...My wife does not condone a single penny that I spend on my car. If my wife were half as interested as yours and just helped me wash my car I would probably be in heaven.
i agree