Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked block = junk???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked block = junk???

Finally getting my LS6 block on the stand for strip down and notice a crack in the casting. This is on the back face of the block, the RH side lower rear headbolt casting boss. The tip of the boss is expanded outwards. I can spray fluid into the water jacket near this flaw and no leakage shows up, but spray down into the headbolt hole, and it definately leaks.
Is this block junk?? From initial inspection, I think it can be used, but looking for other opinions. Has anybody seen this happen before? If so, what was the solution?
Allan
Attached Thumbnails Cracked block = junk???-img_0018t.jpg   Cracked block = junk???-img_0019t.jpg  
Old 12-29-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW it's an aluminum block, so it can be welded, as to whether the price to weld is more than a new block I can't say
As to whether I'd trust it after its been welded, they weld aluminum aircraft parts all the time, and nobody has a problem with it
Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is usually caused by coolant or oil being in the hole when the bolt is torqued down, causing it to hydrolic craking the block. You would probably be fine running the block as is, but it won't cost much to get that welded for a peice of mind.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
That is usually caused by coolant or oil being in the hole when the bolt is torqued down, causing it to hydrolic craking the block. You would probably be fine running the block as is, but it won't cost much to get that welded for a peice of mind.
I would say that the block should not be used with the crack. Its only going to get worse with the constant heating and cooling of the metal. If its possible to weld it, then I say do that. Needless to say, I would not put too much of any power adder into the block.

Last edited by Ferocity02; 12-29-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the guy who welds it knows what he's doing. You should drill a small hole at each end of the crack. Not all the way through the block but as deep as the crack. If not then even after it's welded it will just start cracking again from where it left off.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if u decide to not use it
u can always have the liners bored out
and use it as a mock up for other projects
or leave it as is for future reference
thats how i have my original aluma block
that threw a rod

Quick Reply: Cracked block = junk???