Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 springs/Comp 7.400s are in!

Old 01-01-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking LS6 springs/Comp 7.400s are in!

I would first like to thank TA-TECH for loanin me the Crane VS tool #99472-1(more on this jewel later ) and redtail2426 for the great deal on the yellow LS6 springs that I got from him that came off his new heads . The swap went fairly easy with the Crane VS tool because of its ease of use and that it does 2 at a time , anyone thats gonna tackle VS swaps need this piece of fine craftsmanship ! I did the job in about 4 hours, taking my time searchin for tools that I needed and cleanin/inspecting everything. I used compressed air to fill the chambers to hold the valves up(you can just bring the pistons up to TDC also) and just went at it . The first thing I encountered was gettin the valve covers out without removing any lines or hoses but it can be done by holding your mouth right lol. I will suggest as I did by runnin by a car wash and pressure washin the engine bay real good so that the grit is minimal that can fall into the engine upon removal of parts so that cleanin the top of the heads will be a small amount. Off the top of my head all you need tool wise is of cource the great Crane VS tool, 10mm socket, 8mm socket, 2" extension, ratchet, flat head screw driver(for what ever you need to pry a little on), spark plug socket, and a 1/2" socket to use on the VS tool(did I mention how good it works ). Also, with it being perimeter bolt heads I need a swivel for the back 2 pass. side valve cover bolts. Another tip is to remove the valve covers before tackling the plugs since you will have alot more room to get to em. Other than this its all down hill ! IMO, anyone thats semi-mechanicaly inclined can do this with ease. Now I dont have to worry about floating my valves and/or bending pushrods as much now
Old 01-01-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man,let us know how much nicer it is power wise up top.the crane tool is a nice piece too.I was very suprised when i put a cam in my car how easy these engine are to work on,just time consuming.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, also ya need a torque wrench for the rocker bolts- just torque em down to 22-25ftlbs(I torqued em all down to 22 and spun the motor over with the starter a couple of times and went back over em with 25). I should get another 8 or so at the ground up top- will update soon on that .
Old 01-01-2006, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love the crane tool!

Search this Thread