Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default oil consumption

I'm new to this site and need help. i've tried search but came up empty handed.

I have a 99T/A with 30K miles and it uses about 2-4 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. I've noticed blue smoke out the back while hard cornering or hard acceleration then clears up for a short time. I've also have frequent problems with fowling #5 plug. I also found oil pooled up in the intake. I've tried a jimmy rigged PCV with inline fuel filters but doesnt seem to help and i can see lots of oil in the fuel filters. Is there a permanant fix for this if anyone knows please help it's embarrasing driving around smoking all the time

Shawn
Old 01-02-2006, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe I should have bought a mustang they dont smoke
Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be piston rings worn or valve guides worn. need some more input here, like is eng. all stock? does it have after market heads? 2/4 qts every 3k miles is alot for 30 k motor. if bought used does heads look like they were worked on? do you know the history of car and how it was ran? just by your post I would run a compression test, that should tell you if the rings are bad or just needs head work. hope this helps some, if not then post up more info about car/motor.

fuerzaws6
Old 01-02-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do a search on "PCV" and you'll see there is lots of information on this subject. Some solutions to consider are:

new PCV valve,
LS6 PCV system,
catch tank,
valve cover breathers,
other mods to stock system.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

I'm sure this subject as been beat to death, and people are tired of hearing about it as much i am..This issue botherd me in the beginning and i accepted it and got into the routine of buying a case of extra oil and adding as needed. And as i read what i just wrote it seems insane to accept adding oil 2-4 quarts to an engine that is barely broke in. Yes i understand all piston type engines or anything with a piston has a certin amount of blow by. But I've never owned a vehicle that consumed this much oil on a regular basis unless there was a serious oil leak. and I've never owned a vehicle that blows carbon out the pipes like a smelter.

I bought my car in 2001 and it had 5000 miles on it. Im almost sure the engine has never been apart. It's had the oil consumption problem since day one. I do drive it hard most of the time and it runs great except the plug fowling everynow and then.

My main question is has anyone actually figured out what is wrong with the PCV system or whatever is causing oil to sucked into the intake from the PCV. I've searched hi and low for a definite answer and have tried about 5 of the PCV mods but they seem to be hi maintenance. Ive herd need thicker oil, use mobile 1, dont use mobile 1, use amsoil, bad rings, need a ls6 intake, dont drive with high rpm light load, dont drive it hard, change to 2002 PCV, use catch can and the kicker from GM its normal to use that much oil.

Maybe i do have bad rings and the PCV is just adding to the consumption problem. I'll try the compression test but I'm skeptical.

It's hard to justify tearing apart a good running engine. Ran a consistant 13.2 only mod was drag radials and 2-4 quarts of oil.

I appreciate your replies

Fellow Gear Head
Old 01-03-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

The PCV won't be letting in 2-4 quarts of oil. Something's wrong with your car. 13.2 doesn't necassarily mean it's a good running car. If the heads are ported then 13.2 isn't a good time and could also be causing your oil issues if it was done poorly. You should tear it down and found out what's up before something goes really wrong (not that it will, but it could)
Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Teching In

could be bad valve seals along with the bad piston rings that COWBOYSFAN mentioned letting oil into the cumbustion chamber.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Launching!

mine also consums oil but only about 1qt or less every 5k miles
Old 01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Just did a compression test on all 8.........#5 is bad guess that explains the fowled plugs on #5. any suggestions on what to look for. im assuming the rings are bad or could i have something wrong with the heads or valves

Thanks for the replies
Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do a leakdown to determine where it's leaking compression. Go by an in-line pressure gauge, hook it up to a compressor if you have one. If you don't you will have to take it to someone or go and buy one. You'll have to find TDC on #5 then hook the air compressor/in-line gauge up to the spark plug hole. Put 100psi in there then see how much it leaks down. Listen to where it leaks from (oil cap=rings, intake=valve seal, exhaust=valve seal)
Old 01-03-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rdeterman
mine also consums oil but only about 1qt or less every 5k miles
Same with mine...
Old 01-03-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I assume you did a DRY compression test? Squirt a little bit of oil into the #5 cylinder and run the test over again. This is called a WET compression test. If the number goes up then it's most likely worn piston rings. The oil you squirted into the cylinder made the seal better letting you know that it's the rings that are worn.