Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, coolant dripping from the back.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default help, coolant dripping from the back.

I put the head studs in and changed the head gaskets, but there is coolant dripping down from what it looks like the drivers side, it starts after the car reaches temperature and it smokes from in between the firewall and the motor. The coolant on the ground is clean and there is no smoke coming out the exhaust so it doesnt look like its a head gasket leak. Where is it coming from? Is there a hose or any connection that I missed? I cant really see it from the bottom of the car or feel it from the top w/ my hand. Please help.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the back coolant plug on the head is missing the gasket? Possible freezeplug on the back of the head? I've run into both of those problems before. Start with the plug that has a 10mm bolt that blocks the coolant bypass.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are the two coolant blocks at the tops of the heads in the rear - maybe they're not on or tight ? There are a matching pair of them at the front of the heads for the coolant crossover.

Know the ones I'm talking about ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was the drivers side block off in the back not tightened all the way, Iam going to take it for a spin and see if it everything holds up.