Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me fill in the blanks on my setup....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me fill in the blanks on my setup....

i know, another cam thread...

well i'm a little more prepared than most others asking this, as i have everything else figured out and sitting in my room...

Anyway, the car is a 2001 M6 with less than 30k miles...I drive it daily, but less than a mile to work...Street manners aren't much of a concern to me due to how much i drive it...This is going to be a max effort head/ cam swap, but i'm going to try to keep the car somewhat quiet at idle and normal cruising speeds...

so now onto what i have planned...

the heads i will be using are AFR 205cc's with 59cc chamber and 921 springs...I have cometic .041 headgaskets, comp 7.4" pushrods, R lifters, LS2 timing chain, ported oil pump...I'm going to wait on the FAST 90/90 for now, and get it in the near future when my tax return comes...There is an SLP lid and 85mm MAF on the car already

As for exhaust, i'm taking off the MAC's and going with QTP 1 3/4 with HVMC and ORY with the flowmaster merge...After that i will do a cutout, another muffler in the I pipe, and keep the hooker catback so that it's as quiet as i can be...

Now i know i'm going to have to flycut by going with a big cam, but that doesn't bother me at all...And the stock injectors are going to be a little small for this action so i'll have to take care of that...

Anyway, what do you guys suggest as far as the cam goes? And what else would you do, or not do to the setup i've listed...

Thanks,
Josh
Old 01-08-2006, 11:05 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TRaK.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:08 PM
That's what she said...

Your're going to need some adjustable rocker arms with those comp-R lifters. I'd go all out and get some jesel's or somthing

Are you sure about the length on those pushrods? I'm no expert on that by any stretch of the imagination, but i'd make sure they're right before you got into a whole load problems

Contact tony mamo @ afr and talk to him about making some serious power with those heads. He is on the boards posting all the times and seems like a jam up guy, plus he knows those heads like the back his hand.

Got someone to do a good dyno tune yet? Got an underdrive pulley? Got a ported oil pump that you can SHIM for a little more pressure?

Check the "oil pump mod" thread, i posted a little writeup on shimming the oil pump.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

anyone else?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WsSickLs6
anyone else?
yah trak cam is a really good choice but dont worry about the pushrods or the adjustable rockers i have trick flow 7.4 pushrods and stock rockers with my comp type R lifters with a T-rex cam and no internal niose and runs perfect with 410 rear horsepower with stock unported heads and stock bottom end.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:47 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Good point all, sell those R lifters, use stock replacements and keep your stock rockers.
Use a high lift cam to take advantage of the AFR's great flow numbers up top.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

agreed...i think i'll ditch the lifters and run the stock lifters and rockers

I'll have to call up thunder about the pushrod length to verify i get the right length...

I've looked at this cam before, like the lift #'s as they would mate up very well with the heads i have...Just the duration numbers were a bit of confusion but i've been searching these LSK lobes as of late...

Now with the LSK lobes...someone explain these a little better for me...So far it's my understanding that the duration @.050 is a little smaller, but they accelerate in a different manner past that and use XE-R lobes on the exhaust side...How is this going to affect my PTV with the 59cc heads??? Will i still need to flycut?

And what are some of the characteristics of this cam? Like idle, driveability, and such...Where can/should i get this tuned at near me?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

The LSK lobes come off the seat softer than XER from .006 to .050, then they come on more aggressive from .050+.

Consult Thunder (call Thunder) and PatrickG (via PM) regarding PTV clearance. I think Patrick's pistons are flycut, I forget his chamber size.

Driveability is supposedly very good. Idle very good. Tuning near you, I have no idea.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mill as little as possible. First choose your cam, then mill accordingly for SCR desired but while watching your DCR, which is much more important. (shoot for 8.5 DCR)
Milling will loose flow, so the least done the better.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Magic stick
Old 01-10-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can also try EDC.. hell make you a custom cam specifially for your set up.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

anyway...i would like to use a little nitrous on top of all this, the TRak happy with it? And what size injectors should i get for this?