Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

port and polishing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default port and polishing question

I am looking to replace my 98 heads with a ported and polished set of 98 heads. My main question is will this increase my compression ratio? My other question is.....are a set of ls6 heads ported and polished that much better? Will the difference warrant the price of the heads, head covers, and new coil pack rails?

Curtis
Old 01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

I can't answer about the LS6 heads, but porting and polishing your LS1 heads will not change the compression ratio unless you unshroud the combustion chamber or remove any material from the combustion chamber. If you do, you will lower the compression ratio. I did my LS1 heads, but didn't make any changes to the combustion chamber. I just created more flow on the intake and exhaust ports. There are lots of threads on how to do it if you search.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sure any company will be capable of miling the heads down a bit to iincrease the compression ratio, however this will lower your piston to valve clearance. Youll have to make sure the cam will still clear otherwise youll have to flycut the pistons.

EDIT: Do you have a cam? I dont see one in your sig. Id do a cam before heads.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by curtisad
I am looking to replace my 98 heads with a ported and polished set of 98 heads. My main question is will this increase my compression ratio? My other question is.....are a set of ls6 heads ported and polished that much better? Will the difference warrant the price of the heads, head covers, and new coil pack rails?

Curtis

Just the porting of your heads will not effect compression ratio. UNLESS, they do any work to the chambers that enlarges them or the heads are milled. LS6 or LS6 "style" head will flow better in most cases than the 98 perimeter bol heads. As far as the difference in price being worth it, you need to look at the combination you will be using.