Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 383 motor- low oil pressure?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 383 motor- low oil pressure?? Help

My mechanic just told me he finished putting my new LS1 383 together (new forged crank, rods, pistons) in my C5 vette, but he says the oil pressure seems low- It starts off around 30 and when it gets warm ends up around 25psi. He says he tried 3 different oil pumps, and it was the same deal. Is this pressure way too low, or is it tolerable? What could be the cause?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, according to documentation I have read reguarding how teams put together NASCAR engines it seems to be tolerable. They state that you need to have about 10 psi of oil pressure per 1000 rpm in order for the engine to run the way it should. Now, keep this in mind. Those engines spend the majority of their life @ or above 5000 rpm. In a street motor I would look for at least 30 psi at idle with it good and hot. Nothing less in my opinion is tolerable. Sounds like he needs to tighten it up (rods and mains) alittle if it was me doing the work. It will make more power being loose, but I wouldn't sacrifice reliability in a street motor for power. NASCAR teams build em to run a few practice runs, qualifying, and a 500 mile race. You want the motor to be good and solid for more than 1500 miles don't you?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If say in a month or something it starts dropping to like 20 I'd worry.

500 miles straight with the pedal to the floor is probably like 50,000 miles of street use imo.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Launching!

First off I'd verify oil pressure with a mech. gauge. Next would be oil pump o-ring. If it's pinched it could be the culprit. Next would be bearing clearances. Did your mech. write down the actual bearing clearances? Sounds like he could have possibly taken things for granted and not measured if not. I wouldn't be happy at all with pressure that low. Perhaps an oil galley plug may have been left out somewhere?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krexken
First off I'd verify oil pressure with a mech. gauge. Next would be oil pump o-ring. If it's pinched it could be the culprit. Next would be bearing clearances. Did your mech. write down the actual bearing clearances? Sounds like he could have possibly taken things for granted and not measured if not. I wouldn't be happy at all with pressure that low. Perhaps an oil galley plug may have been left out somewhere?
No disrespect but no galley plug would be a zero oil pressure situation.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

What rod bolt did you use cause with ARP bolts you have to shim your windage try and bend the oil pick up tube. If done incorrect it will leak and give low pressure
Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

what are your clearances...need to be tight on LS1s....~.0025 or less