Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about main cap bolts and rod bolts need quick answer

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick question about main cap bolts and rod bolts need quick answer

I know the rod bolts are a TTY bolt and shouldn't be reused, but what about the mains? I am looking at a tech manual for a LS motor and it is describing the torque procedures for the mains as the same type as the rods IE first pass 15 ft lbs then second pass 80 degrees ect ect. Are the mains actually a TTY bolt or do they tighten like that as a reuseable bolt? I'm gonna go look at this motor I want but I want to plastigage it before I buy it and bring it home being it is a 300 mile drive both ways. (got a super cheap deal on it so if it is what he says it is it will go home with me for sure) Basically what I want to do is pull the pan and inspect the mains and rods to ensure nothing is out of whack with the crank, plus you can get a good idea of what the bores look like from the bottom to get a general idea of the motor. Reason why I want to do this is he said he was told it ran when he got it a few years ago, but he hasn't heard it run so who knows. It's a GM dyno test engine so lord knows but willing to take a chance for the price. What would you guys recommend for torque specs for the rods and mains if I plastigage it? I was thinking just torque the rods and mains both to 55 ft lbs and check it that way. What do you guys think, will that work? Thanks for the quick reply