Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought 2000 ss ? about some things

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 2000 ss ? about some things

i just bought a 2000 camaro ss, it has borla exhaust and it a 6 speed manual, it sounds like it has a pretty big cam in it as it stands right now, the way it is right now is it almost sounds like it has to clean it self out when you start it and then it surges in first and jerks you back and forth. I have to get it tuned i think because the idle is a little weird once in a while. I was just curious considering its a decent size cam in it, with the borla exhaust and i go get it tuned what you guys think it will run with good shifts and stock tires. any input would be great thanks alot
Old 01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

all depend if has only borla cat back and a cam, probably low 13 high 12, on street tires, with really good shifting, car has the power for better times but will need the suspension to get it to the ground
Old 01-18-2006, 12:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never know what size cam it is unless you send it in and have it doctored. could be small.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I have heard that it takes quite a bit to get the ls1 to lope though, it has a pretty hard lope to it and sounds like a pretty big cam. I have a ls6 cam in my 5.3 and doesnt even dream of sounding nething like this car and that even had open exhaust on it. Im going to find out from the previous owner if he did nething to it and eventually take it to my tuning guy in madison wisconsin to see if everything is tuned like a stock ls1. It also is kind of tough to shift i mean i dont want to force it into the gear but it seems like its kind of tough to take out of the one gear and into the next, I can run through my buddies 95 lt1 6 speed with ease. It make kind of a weird noise after you get on it hard and then push the clutch in to come to a stop. I think it might be the throwout bearing and then it drives fine right after that. ne other info would be helpful. And also wondering if it makes a big difference to have even a stock ls1 with a 6 speed tuned? thanks a lot tyler
Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well the Ls6 cam doesnt have much overlap for starters.
For all you can tell from the sound/lope it just has 12-16* of overlap. Doesnt necessarily mean it is big. It could very well be the Hotcam.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Get that car tuned for sure if it is cammed. You will see better results. It doesnt really even have to have anything done to it to benefit. tuning is tuning.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

will do on getting it tuned. Yeah i have no idea on what size cam is in it but cant wait to find out. I still have to get the title and then i will find out who had the car before me and that way i can contact him. Then once i get it licenesed and registered ill take it to my tuning guy and either have it tuned or just have the program downloaded. I think it needs to be tuned though because it idles funny sometimes and has to clean it self out when you start it usually. Any ideas on what that noise is that i put in my second post.