Sponsored by:

cost for motor swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cost for motor swap?

im looking to do a motor swap....

about how much money are we looking at to have this done?

and how many hours would this take?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a shop quoted me about $900 in labor just for the swap, and that was for a motor that was already fully assembled from GM. I dont know how much it would be if they had to assemble any of the motor themselves.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find someone that can help you do it yourself. It's worth more than just the money saved. I did my first motor swap at a friend's garage last March after many people telling me I couldn't do it without the technical know how (basically insulting my intelligence... FYI it wasn't on here, it was on the EFA forum ). Well, I got someone to help me that had done one before, it took us about 6 hours to unbolt everything, pull the engine, put the new one in, and bolt everything down (we didn't have a lift and pulled the motor from the top). I learned a lot doing it myself and am glad that I did it. However, if you just don't have access to the proper tools or don't have the time, $900 for labor sounds about right considering a lot of shops charge anywhere from $300-$600 for a cam swap... what a ripoff