Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GenIII Engine Help - Valves Heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GenIII Engine Help - Valves Heads

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I lot of you are experts on GenIII's and I need some good advice.

I am building a budget 1937 pickup street rod using a 2002 5.3l truck engine. I am planning on using the GM#12480033 ls1 hot cam in it in (0.525lift, in 271, ex 280, lsa 112) The cam came with LS6 springs I'm going to install and I'll be running the edelbrock intake with a carb and the MSD ignition.

I was working with the heads today and I can stuff a 5.7l (larger than the stock 5.3l) intake valve in the heads without modification. (I got a set of car valves on ebay) It looks like it will still fully seat on the factory machined valve seat. The valve however sits 1/32 lower at the tip when installed with the springs due to it sitting lower on the valve seat. The intake and exhaust valve tips would be at different heights. (all intakes off by 1/32)

Any advice on whether this type of thing has been done before successfully when using the truck heads on an LS1 for upping the compression ratio due to the smaller chamber? Any problems I should look out for?

I am planning on bluing up the valve up to look for piston to valve contact to make sure I have clearance but what do you guys think about the combination?

Thanks, I would really appeciate any opinions!

Todd
Old 01-22-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You need a valve job to seat the valve at same height if you plan on using stock rockers.
Otherwise your Geometry will be all out of whack.