Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP torquer 2 owners......comments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP torquer 2 owners......comments?

Thinking about running this cam, pretty much just want to know is this a good cam only cam, and when does most of the power come in, not wanting something i have to rev up to like 7000k to feel the power even though ill be running 4:10's here soon. Basically want something that pulls hard without having to run a smaller 224 style cam.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

see sig
Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

I'm with you, man, and that's one thing I hate. Everybody posts up their numbers, but nobody ever posts up a graph or the RPM peaks. It makes it a pain in the *** when researching cams.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
I'm with you, man, and that's one thing I hate. Everybody posts up their numbers, but nobody ever posts up a graph or the RPM peaks. It makes it a pain in the *** when researching cams.
No it doesn't.
Bench racers post graphs>
True racers post track results>
Old 01-23-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was a thread started by Predator-Z within the last month analyzing all the characteristics of the cam...i know search is goofy now, but it may turn up the thread. His impressions are right on par with my thoughts on the cam.

i'll try to dig up the post i made over the summer with my graph in the dyno results section

EDIT: Here's a couple links worth reading

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/435130-tsp-torquer-v-2-too-big-dd.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/426056-tsp-232-234-prc-5-3-results.html

and in pictures: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/377774-torquer-ii-prc-stage-2-5-results.html

Last edited by iamsickofitall; 01-23-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
No it doesn't.
so very true - a guy i know keeps bragging about dyno numbers and can't even drive his car straight under 3/4 throttle
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
so very true - a guy i know keeps bragging about dyno numbers and can't even drive his car straight under 3/4 throttle
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Here goes my experience with the Torquer II:

After doing lots of research on here and speaking with Zach at TSP, I was sure this was the right cam for me. I got around to installing it last summer. I waited to get my mail order tune from TSP before giving it a good 'round. Of course, I couldn't wait that long to start it up. Had to drill the TB blade hole out to 1/4" to get it to idle. About 20 miles after driving the car for the first time, my tranny let go.

Purchased a built trans from Dave at Rock-On and I'm extremely happy so far. That's another story though. After finally getting the tranny in, I was able to get up close and personal with this cam.

1. I regret drilling out the TB blade to 1/4", I ended up patching it about a week ago and drilling back to stock. To get my IAC counts up without messing with the set screw too much (per soundengineers suggestion) I drilled a second hole 3/32".

2. The car idled horribly with the original TSP tune. I can't complain though, cause retunes are free for a year, and Jason was more than willing to sit on the phone with me and diagnose my problem. I didn't want the added down time associated with sending my PCM out, so I ended buying HPTuners and I'm glad I did.

3. I had to cut a lot of fuel and add some spark at idle to get rid of some of the lope. After that, she's beginning to idle real nice. Not even close to stock though, since I've got the idle up to around 900 rpms. I'm hoping some more spark tuning will get the idle lower, maybe about 800 rpms, cause it's loud as hell right now, even with my Hooker Cat-Back.

4. Driving around at part throttle, it feels like it's lost some grunt down low. Not enough to annoy me though. You're gonna be running 4.10s so I highly doubt you'll have that problem. As far as driveability is concerned, you'll lose some with any cam this size. The good thing is, even on a 112 LSA (I think they're grinding them with a 113 now) and my A4, the agressive lobe profile keeps it fairly tight driving around town, and most a lot of the lope at idle can be tuned out.

5. At WOT I can't even begin to tell you how strong it feels. It most definately picked up hp EVERYWHERE. I haven't spent much time at WOT because of the new trans, the crappy wether, and the suspect tune, but it feels great right now. I know I'll pick up more with a spot on tune.

All in all, I'm very happy with the cam. If you've seen some of the posts I've made in the past, you'll see I've been contemplating pulling the cam and going with something milder. I'm was very impatient and wanted results NOW. If you spend some time tuning and getting things just right you'll be very happy with this cam.

Oh, you'll want to spin to at least 6500rpms to benefit from this cam. If I can be of any more help, PM me. Also, keep an eye open for a thread detailing my experiences tuning this cam.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Launching!

I had the first torquer cam.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
No it doesn't.
Track results don't mean jackshit when I don't have an A4 with a big *** stall and sticky tires, now does it?

I want graphs and peak RPMs so I know when I would have to shift different cams to aid me in my choice. I couldn't really care what a stalled auto on stickies does on the other side of the globe, 'cause that doesn't tell me anything about the power curves and where it begins to pull, where it peaks, etc.

I have no clue where you got that dyno graphs=bench racing, but I figured you(being that you are one of the more respectable guys around here) wouldn't say something that ignorant.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ZING!!!!

Track results don't mean jackshit when I don't have an A4 with a big *** stall and sticky tires, now does it?

I want graphs and peak RPMs so I know when I would have to shift different cams to aid me in my choice. I couldn't really care what a stalled auto on stickies does on the other side of the globe, 'cause that doesn't tell me anything about the power curves and where it begins to pull, where it peaks, etc.

I have no clue where you got that dyno graphs=bench racing, but I figured you(being that you are one of the more respectable guys around here) wouldn't say something that ignorant.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just came in the mail today!!!!! Cant wait to get car back from body shop(Dumbass old man rearended me!!!) then cam kit and ported LS6 oil pump and doulbe roller timing chain goes in!! along wiht RR's

and Kpowr82 u still can get the Torquer cam with 112, as i did with mine!!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00BlackSS
and Kpowr82 u still can get the Torquer cam with 112, as i did with mine!!
Cool, I know when I spoke with Zach he told me they could custom grind one on a 114 for me, but I didn't want to mess with a proven formula.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very happy with my TSP Torquer II, pulls hard at mid range and even harder up top, as for a cam only cam, well i cant comment on that cause ive got the AFR heads, all this power and cant hook up, next is suspension mods
Old 01-23-2006, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

I know a guy around here that put down 415hp on the Torquer 2 cam, he is skippy the loon on LS1tech.
Here u go i found it : https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/338202-torquer-2-dyno-results.html

Last edited by GT Griller; 01-23-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

I'll let you know shortly as well. Finishing up in the next few weeks. I bought the TSP Torquer V2 on a 112 LSA. Also had heads done at Livernois as well along with a host of other mods.
Will go with a custom tune when I'm done and I will psot some graphs.
I went with the torquer due to the high average hp and tourqe gain over the entire rpm band. Dont fall into the trap and looking at just peak hp, that will get you nowhere fast.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

I'll let you know shortly as well. Finishing up in the next few weeks. I bought the TSP Torquer V2 on a 112 LSA. Also had heads done at Livernois as well along with a host of other mods.
Will go with a custom tune when I'm done and I will post some graphs.
I went with the torquer due to the high average hp and tourqe gain over the entire rpm band. Dont fall into the trap and looking at just peak hp, that will get you nowhere fast.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dynos are just a tuning tool to me (Shoot, last time I used one was like 2 years ago ). I wouldn't care if i had 2 rwhp but I blew away my competition, both on street and on track.
You can brag about your #s all day long, but they mean nothing if you can't put those to the ground.
FYI, your shiftpoints will be decided by YOUR graph and not someone elses.
FYI, no 2 cars are alike and there is a zillion factor into how a car graph looks.
Read around, one day you'll know what I'm saying.

Do I sense anymosity towards big stalled Autos, have you been spanked lately? (in a race that is)

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 01-24-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

I have raced 1 stalled auto LS1 and I killed him because he was a 99 bone stock with a 3200 and we went from a 40 roll. I haven't been to the dragstrip since September because of clutch and lack of traction issues. No anymosity, just saying your track results have 0 to do with me or my car because I have a 6 speed.

I don't use dyno numbers to brag(dude I have 333 at the wheels, that's nothing to brag about LOL), and I agree, dynos are just a tool. However a 224 cam will have a diff. peak than a F13, which will have diff. peak than a Magic Stick...so forth and so on. If you disagree with that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Thanks for those of you that PM'd me a dyno graph or posted up one in the thread, though.