Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed QTP 2 Piece Timing Cover & TR224 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Installed QTP 2 Piece Timing Cover & TR224 Cam

Well i took the plung. I am cammed now I wanted to start off with something on the mild side for now. The Thunder Racing 224 cam swap package with the dual springs. I will go bigger when i do heads later. That is why i also installed the QTP 2 piece timing cover and hv oil pump. Now changing a cam is gonna be cake. Its also nice to be less modded car in the group and have a choice of cams that my friends are not using anymore

Ok on to the install. I had help from my friends with the valve spring change everything else i sorta did. Pulled all the old stuff off and out. Swapped the springs and put the new TR 224 cam in. Friend had the home depot rods to help with the cam swap. Now i went with the QTP high volume pump because have some mileage on the stock pump and i figure i was already in there. I used the blue spring since i am stock cubes. Put the chain back. Went on very easy and began to put the lower cover on. Put the factory gasket on and lined up the cover. Bolted it up.

Made sure all the dots lined up and i can see the dots with the lower cover on. So the next cam is a snap.

Applyed the gasket maker that was supplied with the cover and put the top cover back on.

Bolted everything back up even the stock pulley Didnt have enough cash this go around to get the ATI. Check every thing twice and started the car up. Everything looks good and no air pockets in the coolant

Took it for a spin. Let me tell you i dont know why i was not cammed before because this rocks. Its a little choppy because its cold out and the car is not tuned for the cam. Need to go to East Side for a retune to get this puppy running to its potential. Drove it around for a day or so and checked everythin again and no leaks. I was a little worried about the timing cover leaking but not a drop. And as for the oil pressure my friend told me it was very good. Dont have a comparo in numbers because i never remebered the old pressure DOH

Now i need to save up for a set of ETP or AFR heads and a big cam. But thumbs up to Thunder Racing on there 224 Cam Package and QTP for the Cover and Pump. I would recommed it to anyone. Also thanks to all the great advice i read on LS1Tech
Old 01-25-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

What happened to the cover? or did it come scratched up looking like that?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

I think Imma go ahead ang get that cover also
Old 01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Brandon
Never noticed that. Must have been the flash from the camera to see it. Looked fine to me. Too bad you cant see it. The WP is covering it up.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very Very nice... looks to good
Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice

I would have went with it also, but was a little pricey imo.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DocEwww
Nice

I would have went with it also, but was a little pricey imo.
How much is that cover. It looks awesome. BLING!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
How much is that cover. It looks awesome. BLING!

Ditto! How much?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Cover/
Old 01-25-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Made sure all the dots lined up and i can see the dots with the lower cover on. So the next cam is a snap.
Looks like the lining up the cam sprocket to the crank sprocket is a PITA with half the cover there.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

You also can't run a double roller chain.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was also wondering about how you get the chain. Once the cam sprocket is off, you'd have to hold up the chain or something, otherwise it drops down. You's have to take the bottom off anyway or have a fun time fishing for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong....

It does look cool though.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ωmega
I was also wondering about how you get the chain. Once the cam sprocket is off, you'd have to hold up the chain or something, otherwise it drops down. You's have to take the bottom off anyway or have a fun time fishing for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong....

It does look cool though.
you would just pull the entire top sprocket off with the chain. I think? then grab the chain since its off the cogs
Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

All you have to do it hang the chain over the side of the cover. Its not hard at all. We did a quick sprocket change to see how it goes. The picture is a little decieving but there is plenty of room and you can see everything. Even i the chain falls down you can easily get it.
And yes it is a little expensive but i feel its a niece peice and worth it. I can change cams and have there larger high volume pump. Something you cant put under a stock cover. I know most people wont go for this because it does not gain you any horse power but its looks cool
Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Order 66
All you have to do it hang the chain over the side of the cover. Its not hard at all. We did a quick sprocket change to see how it goes. The picture is a little decieving but there is plenty of room and you can see everything. Even i the chain falls down you can easily get it.
And yes it is a little expensive but i feel its a niece peice and worth it. I can change cams and have there larger high volume pump. Something you cant put under a stock cover. I know most people wont go for this because it does not gain you any horse power but its looks cool
Ah, okay. Yea, from the pictures, it looks like there is very little room to work, and very little access. It definitely looks cool bro.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

$425 for a god damn timing cover.....what a frickin rip off I dont think imma get that I could probably fabricate my own.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by santiago
$425 for a god damn timing cover.....what a frickin rip off I dont think imma get that I could probably fabricate my own.
If you feel you can make a CNC Billet cover for less go right ahead. Since it does take over 2 hrs of cnc time to mill it. We know its expesive piece, its expensive to make.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

No other company that I know of currently offers one, nor the ability to run a pump such as theirs.
If you can have one machined with a gasket inplace such as theirs and so forth for cheaper, do it.
I doubt it though, tons of CNC work went into it.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes n8 speed has one, its 1/2 the price and it uses gaskets instead of RTV to seal. M ine is awesome

Dave
Old 01-26-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
yes n8 speed has one, its 1/2 the price and it uses gaskets instead of RTV to seal. M ine is awesome

Dave
Thats an OEM cut cover. Not CNC billet. Now thats expensive for what you get. And $275 is not half of $425